College dismissal records

Hello everyone.

So a few months back, I was dismissed from college for public obscenity, and the letter that states I was dismissed lays with the school’s Dean. But I transferred schools and I am on the track to graduate with a degree in cybersecurity, and want to work for the government. I was looking at the SF86, as I want to get a top security clearance, but I am afraid that the investigators would find my dismissal record and due to that, would not give me clearance.

I also saw that although the form asks for schools I have attended in the past 10 years, it only asks for references from schools in the last three years. So does that mean if I attended my old school ( from where I was dismissed) more than three years ago, then won’t interview references from that school nor visit the school for records?

Please assist me with this, because I really want to find a path out of this.

Your transcripts will be pulled. In the course of the investigation, if you fail to disclose something that an Investigator discovers, that is an issue. Your entire life is looked at, not one incident, whole person concept. It’s about honesty. If there is a pertinent question on the 86, answer it truefully. You don’t want to appear to be hiding something or get flagged for failure to disclose on a form you certified as being correct.

3 Likes

Don’t worry about it. Report it so there are no surprises. Being young, dumb and stupid…covers lots of dumb, and stupid behavior. Make sure you include any wanderings through experimenting with recreational stuff: weed, Adderal, Ritalin as well. Honesty covers a lot. Not telling the truth is a steeper climb.

So even if I attended that institution more than ten years ago, and I don’t mention it on the SF86, then would they still find the college?

You only have to answer the question. In the last 7 years, in the last 10 years, have you ever, and any follow on questions pertaining to those questions.

If it doesn’t fit, omit.

1 Like

Loving that phrase!!!

1 Like

Cool. Thank you guys. So just to be more clear, the public obscenity was actually me having sex in the college bathroom. I am really ashamed of this and I do not want this to jeopardize my hopes. I was 20 at that time and an incident like this has never happened before or after. It was consensual between us and happened because sometimes it just does. Do you think this info might change my chances?

Lol no. I think you will be ok :joy:

1 Like