Copy of Background Investigation Report

Can anyone help me with getting a copy of the background investigation that was approved before I started working? Thank you in advance for any assistance.

This is a link to OPM FAQ:
How do I request a copy of my own completed background investigation?
https://www.opm.gov/faqs/QA.aspx?fid=cb3cafac-1e73-4a6b-bd88-a3adad355390&pid=f26db818-9a99-4d77-99f4-975f24c8b59f

The information in on NBIB website:
https://nbib.opm.gov/foia-privacy-acts/requesting-and-amending-my-records/#CopyofBI

I have already requested & received a report from this email/website & it wasn’t the complete report it just had my personal information; name, address, phone number, family members and my past employment records. It wasn’t complete as far as complete report that was given to CBP for my employment. I want a copy of the entire report so that I can repair any issues prior to having the next background investigation.

1 Like

Your background might have been completed by CBP (they use their own contractors) and OPM does not have your “whole” case.

Contact CBP’s FOIA office for your CBP report.

Hello,

A few days ago I got my copy of the investigation and everything looks the way I expected it to be. I also got adjudicated and received a favorable outcome.

Now there is one thing that I don’t understand: maybe you guys could clarify:

Next to the fbi namecheck it says:
(j)(2)(b)(7)(e) per fbi

I don’t know what that really means exact that this part of the report was held back from my FOI request.

What exactly does that mean ? Is it reason to worry ? I know that I don’t have any criminal history or so and recently underwent an fbi Name Check without any issues, but what does it mean and why is it not viewable for me ? Is that reason to worry ? I would think not given my adjudication is favorable.

Any helping comment would be appreciated. Thanks !

Any idea anyone ? Is that exception from the record a bad sign ? According to my superior I am cleared (adjudicated) and good to go, so whatever the reason for the exemption is, it can not be too bad, I guess ?

I really had NO illegal history of anything. Every other category of law enforcement just has a “no record” next to it, even the fbi fingerprint. It’s only the name check that has this strange exemption.

Are there any actual investigators on this website who are (legally) able and willing to explain this ? I am going through the walls because of worry.

Those codes are FOIA exemption codes for certain information not releasable.

Read the cover page of background investigation. It’s explained there.

Privacy Act exemption (j)(2) and FOIA exemption (b)(7)(E). Exemption (j)(2) allows for withholding information maintained by an agency or agency component whose main function pertains to enforcing criminal laws. Exemption (b)(7)(E) protects information that “would disclose techniques and procedures for law enforcement investigations or prosecutions, or would disclose guidelines for law enforcement investigations or prosecutions if such disclosure could reasonably be expected to risk circumvention of the law.”

You may appeal the FBI’s (j)(2), (b)(7)(E) redactions directly to the Department of Justice by submitting a written request to the Director, Office of Information Policy (OIP), U.S. Department of Justice, Suite 11050, 1425 New York Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20530, or you may submit an appeal through OIP’s eFOIA portal at https://www.justice.gov/oip/submitand-track-request-or-appeal. Your appeal must be received by OIP within sixty (60) days from the date of this letter to be considered timely. The envelope and letter should be marked “Freedom of Information Appeal.”

1 Like

I appreciate the reply, thank you for taking the time. So this is a fairly common redaction ?

The reason I ask is that all the other law enforcement agency checks they is just state “no record”, even the FBI fingerprint. Only this name check is redacted.

Does that mean there was a hit or math ? Would it say “no record” if there was none or would it still be having the exemption ?
I never expected anything to show anything else but “no record”. As this is my very first time dealing with these things, I have no clue if everyone receives this exemption or if it is based on my specific case.

I am sorry for being so new to this, I just never thought anything would ever pop up and am puzzled by this and not sure if it is completely normal or reason for worry.

Thanks for any further help.

1 Like

How long did it take to receive the report? Just requested mine today.

I appreciate the reply, thank you for taking the time. So this is a fairly common redaction ?

The reason I ask is that all the other law enforcement agency checks they is just state “no record”, even the FBI fingerprint. Only this name check is redacted.

Does that mean there was a hit or math ? Would it say “no record” if there was none or would it still be having the exemption ?
I never expected anything to show anything else but “no record”. As this is my very first time dealing with these things, I have no clue if everyone receives this exemption or if it is based on my specific case.

I am sorry for being so new to this, I just never thought anything would ever pop up and am puzzled by this and not sure if it is completely normal or reason for worry.

Thanks for any further help.

1 Like

Mine took 30 business days

Sorry to bother one more time with this but as Ihave not received yet an answer to my question above, (see last post) I wanted to ask again.

Does the fact that the excemption was quoted behind the fbi name check in stead of “no record” like in all the other agency checks mean there was something ? Or does this excemption always apply no matter what result ?

I am still very new to all this and am a bit confused. I just had a name check a few months ago that did not bring up any issues, nor am I aware of any wrongdoing ever and now I see this excemption quoted. I figured if there was “no record” it would be stated, wouldn’t it ?

Sorry for the questions.

1 Like

Don’t spend a lot of time worrying about the background investigation codes. They are an internal language and normally used to identify information (or lack of information) for the adjudicator to look for in the report or for NBIB to help with processing…

You were successfully adjudicated. Nothing to worry about.

As a side note. I’ve been waiting for my FOIA request to come through. Still haven’t seen it, well past 30 business days at this point. Oh well, it’ll come through some day.

1 Like

Thank you, so it is very general wording and does not necessarily mean my name in any way was in the check ?

I assume it does not matter, as I got adjudicated and am favorably adjudicated.
I hope it is understandable for all of you that I was somewhat worried to see something like that, when I believe I have pristine background.

1 Like

It’s certainly understandable to me that you would be curious. If nothing came back, why redacted? And I don’t think this is a “background investigation code”–as someone explained above, it’s a Privacy Act exemption (j)(2) and FOIA exemption (b)(7)(E). That wouldn’t have been inserted by the background investigator, but rather by the person processing the file for release to you, in place of deleted information.

Because it may expose protected investigative techniques

But only if there’s a “there” there, is I believe the poster’s point.