Debt, traffic violation and clearance

Hi guys,
First of all, thanks for replying to my other posts. I got new questions regarding secret security clearance :slight_smile:

-A few years ago, I drove slightly above the speed limit and got a ticket above $300. Is that an easy disqualifier? Is ticket bigger than $200 still a thing in 2018?

-If the debt is over 7 years old and was removed from my credit report. Is there a way to find the record and pay it down or should I just leave it alone?

-What’s a good debt to income ratio?

-How much debt would raise a concern[50k, 100k, 200k, etc]?

-If creditors offered to lower the debt, should I say yes or no, and would that be an issue in the future if I need a higher tier of clearance?

-If some of my debts were written off many years ago, is there a way to fix that?

-I wrote a few bad checks[around $300 each] 6-7 years ago, is it a disqualifier?

Many thanks again guys,
CC

Yes . . . No . . . Maybe . . .

There are no clear cut answers to your questions.

If I remember correctly, a $300 traffic ticket is reportable but certainly not a disqualifier.

I believe that debt that has been removed from your credit report is normally a non-issue.

They don’t look at debt to income, they look to see if you follow the rules and pay your bills.

Debt forgiveness is legal, smart way to help yourself get out of debt. The fact that you got in over your head will be a negative but negotiating with creditors shows that you are taking things seriously.

I’m not sure if they can find out about the bad checks unless you were charged or they are on your credit report.

1 Like

Thank you for your answers. As for the checks, I believe it’s on ChexSystem or something like that and likely to stay there for 5-7 years. That’s the main reason why I can’t have checking account with most big banks. There’s not much on my credit report at the moment. I got like…$18k in debt, that’s all :smiley:

if everyone with a ONE point traffic citation is a risk, no one would have a clearance . DUI, reckless driving and two point violations are different. Every service member and many vets I’ve ever known have driven crazy. There is a reasonable standard