Disclose late payments that happened before 7 year window?

I am applying for a Q clearance and it is asking for financial issues etc for the past 7 years. About 8.5 years ago, I had late mortgage payments That I resolved 7.5 years ago and my credit is excellent. Do I need to disclose these late payments that occurred before the 7 year timeframe?

No. Just answer what the question asks, stick to the timeframes.

Your credit report is reviewed and discussed during an interview if there are discrepancies or areas of concern shown. What you might consider as excellent, or a high credit score, is not what’s being looked at.

Each account shown on a report lists the history of the account. It will show the months late and may have an added detail of the account having a history of being 30, 60, 90, or 120 days late.

With this in mind, it would probably be best to at least add a very short note that the account was late 8yrs ago, is out of scope but currently up to date.

Get a full copy of your report to see what the account history shows.

Again, the overall summary of your entire credit picture has little impact. Each account is viewed separately to see if a pattern exists that shows responsibility issues.

1 Like

I have a copy of the report and it shows ND for the months the payments were late, and indicates that the account is “paid in full” and “never late”

Should I still note it? What about the interview if I am asked about financial problems. Do I discuss only the past seven years or do I go back beyond that?

No. Stick to the 7year time frame. Bringing up issues that are not within the scope of the investigation could cause potential issues depending on the reason for the delinquency.

1 Like

Should you disclose it in your paperwork? No. Should you talk about it if asked anyway? Yes. I was asked about a $13k cash deposit from ~11 years ago from a car I sold. I can’t imagine saying to the investigator, “Sorry, that’s outside your scope.”

1 Like

The issue is this: I went thru divorce During the Great Recession and got stuck with the house (that was in my name). I tried to sell house for three years with not even an offer. During this three year period I had surgeries which incurred some medica bills, plus the house payments which were over half of my take home salary. I tried to refinance with the mortgage co. They denied. They presented other options such as deed in lieu of foreclosure and short sale. I spent the next 15 months working with them on those options to no avail. Every package submitted was reviewed and denied as incomplete. Very frustrating. During this time I did not make payments. Finally, the house was about to foreclose and I took a loan out from my TSP and borrowed from my fiancé to pay the delinquency and brought loan current. Did not go into foreclosure. I would rather not bring up if I don’t have to because of the fact that I stopped making payments. This could bring up other issues. I’m the end it’s resolved and my credit report says paid in full and never late. However they are “ND” showing for the months where no payment was made.

So… what to say if they ask if I have had financial difficulties?

Be honest. If they say in the last XX years have you ever had (issue) say yes or no.

1 Like

You are only responsible (Personal Conduct, i.e. the intigrity/honesty concern) the events and time frames requested on the SF 85/86 (eQIP/SCA/eAip, etc).

When you volunteer an issue outside the scope - it becomes an issue that is discussed. When we ask you about an issue/concern outside the reporting periods - you are expected to answer the questions ( we report non-cooperation) but you are not tagged for Personal Conduct issue (you were not previously asked…)

Don’t complicate an already complicated process. Answer the questions literally. Time frames are not from the start of an issue but the termination/resolution. If it is required to be reported, list it - this is the wrong time for word games. If your Chapter 13 bankruptcy payments ended on 16 Aug 2013 and you electronically/physically sign your SCA on 17 Aug 2020 - you don’t list the bankruptcy. If you sign on 15 August 2020 - it falls within the 7 years.

You might have to discuss the bankruptcy as part of your finances but you are outside the seven years and outside the scope of the questionnaire.

2 Likes

The problem with sticking to the timeframe is if there is a repeated history of whatever the issue is.

As well, more often than not these days one issue impacts another issue.

Worst case: From what the poster had said - a relational split took place. If that was divorce it will be discussed if not discussed during a prior investigation. A fiancée soon after - hummm. The x may be interviewed- I’m thinking all skeletons fall out in a flag of issues - your looking at an 05D baby (honesty issue).

Possible case - the fiancée is listed by subject to cover something. I believe the interview for all sources is an ever situation. The fiancée or any other source listed or developed provides sketchy details that might trigger a TESI (triggered subject interview)

Possible case - the employment supervisor (or any other coworker, neighbor, reference, developed source) is interviewed. The question of character, finances, issues at residences, relationships are discussed all of which might trigger a TESI.

Definite: a bankruptcy is shown on the credit report- if never covered in a prior interview, it will need to be.

Definite: any issues with payments at the listed residence is asked. If transparency is important, the issues would be discussed. If not listed, and found in some other way, honesty code applies.

Problems with payments are usually covered one way or another.

List limited details - sure. Be ready to discuss everything - you bet.

BTW - a glimmer of hope. Please keep in mind with all issues, adjudication looks at the whole person and considers all details including reasons, regrets, and behavior after an issue.

They will ask what is on the form, any any follow up questions necessary from what was disclosed on the form or from information developed elsewhere within the scope of the investigation. There are some EVER questions, but I’m sure you know that.

It’s a full disclosure interview. Be truthful, but listen to what the investigator is asking Of you. As for the SF 86… don’t volunteer more than what is asked for.

Yes. If you list a issue from 8 years ago, you could be adding an issue code (not necessarily a flag) to your report of investigation depending upon what it is you volunteered. Also… if you put it on there, you’ve opened the door to further questioning about it during the interview. That could go either way. Bottom like, provide what is asked of you and be honest.

Stick to the reported time frame. If things are developed that contradict the information/dates you provided, you will most likely be interviewed.

Even if you have continuing financial issues after the bankruptcy from 7 years and two days ago, the issue is the financial irresponsibility - not the bankruptcy.

The questionnaire if the Subject’s responsibility. That document is very critical to the timeliness to the investigation. Omitting required information slows the investigation when we “circle” back around to do actions that should have been done initially. Listing information not asked can also slow the investigation because needless work is scheduled.

The most common example is the “do not list any traffic infractions under $300 unless the infraction involves alcohol or drugs”. A Subject interview gets scheduled (additional cost and time) because the Subject lists a $200 speeding ticket that has nothing to do with alcohol or drugs.

Stick within the time frames on the SF-86.