Disposable Rant (Nicely) Room

Yesterday, OPM posted an announcement for direct hire of federal investigators. No competing, no preference points. If you’re qualified and they want you, you’re in. Only takes a few minutes to complete the application if you’ve already got your stuff uploaded to USAjobs. https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/381632000

@veryspecialinvestigator

i applied but it says many vacancies in Arlington,va and Washington dc. Maybe they will have other openings down the road

@deedisdone81

You’re right. Should have mentioned that in my post. Sorry.

@overusis

Never have truer words been spoken. Your post may have been the best post I have read over the last six weeks on the forum. Every CEO, VP, Manager, and TL should print off your post and frame it above their computer monitor so that they can remember what is most important to an organization, company, and to it’s employees. Very good post. Thanks for putting that together. And your comments are true and heartfelt which is the most important thing.

@kevin-caci

Many of us including myself gave over a decade of our professional lives to USIS and it got us nowhere so why wouldn’t be skeptical of everything you are saying. USIS mislead us for years and lied throughout. CACI is another OPM contractor out there for a profit so we are expecting the same old…same old. Let me name just a few of the reasons to be skeptical of CACI recruiters and managers…especially the recruiters at CACI including Kevin himself:

1. When a USIS furloughed employee is offered a salary match, that person is also asked to deduct $3.81 H&W fringe benefit from their USIS hourly rate. You will be told by CACI that they are offering you a salary match because they think (actually they are speculating because they don’t have the first damn clue) that USIS hourly rate on your paystub includes the $3.81 H&W fringe benefit payment into their employees hourly rate. This is absolutely false as it has been confirmed by USIS HR that the $3.81 is not calculated into our salary. The H&W fringe benefit of $3.81 is to be used for bonafide benefits only and not to be calculated in your salary. PERIOD! Do your homework folks. Don’t be desperate for a $7,955.28 pay cut (3.81 X 2,088 hours in a calendar year equals $7,955.28). So Kevin–explain that if you want people to give your company a chance and try it out for a year. Explain why you guys are screwing employees out of almost $8,000 each year by falsely stating that USIS includes that H&W into your hourly base rate. CACI is misleading people and this is not the way to gain the trust of your new employees. Unfortunately too many USIS furloughed employees are not doing their homework and are desperate to just get a job so many do not even questions this. Poor saps!

1. Explain to your newly hired USIS investigators how in the world are they going to achieve a metric of 6 Weighted testimonies per day in most locations. Sure there may be a few investigators (maybe 5% of the entire USIS workforce) that lives near many DOD facilities that can consistently obtain 6 weighted testimonies on a consistent level, however, for a vast majority of the Investigator working for whatever company cannot attain to these levels. Explain to your newly hired USIS Investigators how they are going to get promoted to level 4 at 7 WTD or heaven forbid the 8 WTD at level 5. Did you explain to your newly hired CACI investigators that they might have to rent an office at the nearest Air Force base or Army post, or DOE facility in order to actually reside, sleep, and eat at this location in order to obtain these lofty (and I mean lofty) weighted testimonies??? Kevin–please explain how an investigator can achieve these stats.

I have worked over 11 years on the OPM contract and only once ever done over 6 weighted testimonies per day and that was on a detail 5 years ago when I worked 40 hours of normal time and 20 hours of overtime each week for the 4 week detail. I lived, slept, and ate OPM work for those four weeks. That was the only way I could obtain these metrics of over 6 WTD. It was misery and an absolute nightmare. Is that what you expect your investigators to do in order to achieve these metrics?? Because this is absolutely unreasonable. Heck, 5.25 source units per day at the highest level 6 at Keypoint is gong to be a challenge and difficult to do consistently, however, at least it is attainable. Wow is all that I can say to CACI’s misguided and unreasonable metrics….

Well Kevin, I’m sure I won’t hear from you personally regarding these questions and concerns… Kevin-CACI–if you have enough guts and gumption to explain my valid points, then please by all means explain yourself and your company.

Even though I’m a newly hired Keypoint employee I would also like to hear from jonlabay at Keypoint and explain to us on this forum why Keypoint demotes employees???

How would jonlabay or any other Keypooint senior manager, VP, or CEO like their job threatened and be constantly under pressure for having to perform or else when things are outside of your control such as Source’s availability, issues, developments in cases, blown up cases, etc.?? How would jonlabay like to be actually demoted and have his salary decreased because he cannot get through all of his unreasonable work demands?? Answer is your wouldn’t like that one bit so why do you guys threaten this and do this to your investigators whom Eric Hess has said that are the “engine” of the company. Is that how managers should treat the “engines”…threatening, demoting, and destroying the investigators confidence and morale? No, the owner of an engine treats a fine tuned machine by putting synthetic oils in the engine and treating the engine with love and care because without that engine…the CEO, VP, Senior Managers, Field Mangers, or TL cannot get to their destination of where they want to go……It’s time to start treating people better CACI and Keypoint. Get it together or experienced people will leave the industry and you’ll have to go train your new college graduates to do the job until it takes them a few years to realize how poorly they are treated like a mangy old mutt that gets abused and kicked all day long.

CACI calling and continually attempting to recruit people that said no or yes? That’s just typical USIS environment right there! One hand doesn’t know what the other one is doing and leads to confusion.

@kevin-caci,

You can admit mistakes and learn from them? Wow, what a concept! I didn’t see very many TL’s at USIS that improved over time to be able to admit mistakes and work with staff to make things better! To paint the real picture, most got nastier over time, as their supervisors helped them hone that craft! I think the nastiness was a game and it’s pretty sad to watch such sanctioned and legalized school yard bullying in the work place!

So tell me, you said you wanted to “get away” from the “10 day ACD – all production push – environment” - do you do any actual fieldwork as a TL with CACI? Or did you really and truly “get away” and are the typical USIS stay at home and bother your team incessantly, wind-bag, lackey, that doesn’t EARN a REAL keep? Does anyone know this person to verify his answer is honest?

I’ll give you a little respect if you do, but most TL’s with USIS couldn’t hack it in the field and Lord knows most current RD’s hadn’t been in the field in years and could not possibly know what it’s really like to be an INV in the environment they seem to think is still like it was in 2005!

Well oiled machines don’t require much attention or maintenance, but that’s all USIS TL’s and RD’s ever spent time doing. At what point does one wisen up and realize that “maintenance” is shoddy and the machine is not RESPONDING well?

If USIS were a machine, it spent the last 5-6 years about ready to fly apart at the seams in a million pieces at any given second! Never dreamed I would see it do so, in such a spectacular fashion!

Yes I was a FI since 2006 and did full-time and part-time until 2010. Yes I did field work as a Team Lead.

Either go with CACI/Keypoint or dont. Its pretty damn simple. No reason to badger people on this forum because you are disgruntled. Grow up and quit acting like a bunch of titty babies for god sake.

It’s great the Feds are hiring. Unfortunately competition for those jobs is going to be rough…

I agree with Queenie. Attacking these caci and kp reps is doing what? Yelling at them through your computer while they respond and remain professional is making you all look silly. Either take the job or not. Yes it will still be stressful and will have to meet deadlines. If you took the job with kp knowing about demotions, why complain and still accept it? the TLs are all jobless and of course they will wind up at either company. I’m not happy about it either. I’ve accepted with caci and plan to make the best of it. If its the same old BS I will leave. But I plan to give them a chance to prove themselves.

After numerous calls by CACI and a few from Keypoint, it turns out they offered the exact same hourly rate which only matches my USIS rate. CACI sent an email saying $xx.xx per hour that appeared to be $3.81 more than Keypoint but did not mention it included H&W until you read the actual offer letter. Keypoints offer letter read the same hourly rate included the H&W.

CACI has sent me 4 different offer letters with steadily increasing hourly rates but are still $10/hr less than they offered to a co-worker with a Sr Inv title but no better stats.

Keypoint also negotiated upward one time.

Don’t be afraid to reject a low offer, but be careful that the counter-offered rate does not include H&W or a much higher WTPD.

I see very little difference in the two. Both will be going through major growing pains and will probably try to get the ABT from USIS to be more efficient. I expect Keypoint may have to add a level of management with more local supervisors to meet the larger workforce. I hope they promote from within and not directly hire USIS TLs.

I don’t see OPM conducting any massive hiring unless Congress appropriates the money. It is still cheaper to use contractors than hire federal employees. No one knows the future of OPM either as the SecDef wants to stop using OPM entirely. Again Congress would have to approve the money either way the DOD goes, independent contractors like Dept of State or reinstate the DSS.

Who knows what will happen when this contract is up for bid next year. Will a third or fourth company bid?

This is from www.govtrack.us/congress

In Feb 2011, Omniplex was one of the 4 bidding. Highest was CACI at $3.49B, Omniplex at $3.42B, Keypoint at $3.33B and well below them all USIS at $3.09B. OPM said all were too high and ordered a rebid. Omniplex bid higher at $3.99B, CACI at $3.40B, Keypoint at $3.29B and USIS at $2.71B or 1/2 billion dollars less. No wonder USIS had to cheat. And where was the oversight of or by OPM? Why did they not question how USIS could do the job for 22% less? That is over $10 million a month USIS could have made and still be the lowest bidder.

Why is the Wage Determination for Background Investigator the only one not regionally adjusted? DOL told me that this particular WD was set at the recommendation of OPM. How come OPM investigators get location pay but OPM does not provide it for contractors? OPM has set the contract to an unrealistic low level to justify their reason for contracting out.

Hopefully with USIS out of the way, the remaining bidders will be able to get a decent contract and that will reflect in a fair wage for all of us.

Accepted my written offer with KP on 9/11, submitted my forms on 9/16, contacted on 9/17 indicating my clearance was transferred and I start on 9/24, and on 9/19 I signed my OPM access forms. I should have my computer and printer soon too. Anyone else having a similar process?

@reginv

So how many times did it take you to get CACI to match your USIS hourly base rate?

How many times did it take Keypoint to match your USIS hourly base rate?

You seem to be the most knowledgeable over the last three threads in this forum about the SCA H&W fringe benefit rate payment. I’ve certainly done my homework and CACI and it appears even Keypoint are not being honest when they say they are matching your salary if they deduct $3.81 from our salaries and then try to include that $3.81 H&W amount and say that they are equaling your USIS hourly base rate.

It’s an absolute joke.

@queenie & @alreadygone

Get off your high horse. All that we are asking is that the CACI and KGS recruiters and managers answer some simple questions that are pertinent so that we can receive some answers for the betterment of the entire security clearance contractor industry…It’s apparent they won’t answer any questions whether they be difficult, awkward to answer, or not. Goes to show you already that these companies are showing some of the same character traits of what our former company, USiS had in regards to not explaining things clearly, trying to be sneaky with the SCA H&W and salary matches, and the downright dishonesty in what is being told to Investigators. You two need to quit drinking the kool aid and get a clue.

Are you kidding me? Drinking the kool aid? In the real world if people don’t like what they hear they find something else. Do you really think that you’re going to get answers? Has it worked thus far? Obviously not. Good luck!

@truthseeker

It took Keypoint two offers. The first I declined and asked for a Level 4. Two days later they came back with an offer that is 4 cents/hr more than my USIS.

CACI took 4 offers. The first too low, the second matched my USIS, the third $7900 more/yr but at 7 WTPD and the fourth appeared to be the same as the third but at 5 WTPD until I read the offer letter that included the H&W in the hourly rate, therefore matching the last Keypoint offer.

Advise to CACI & Keypoint - tell your recruiters to can the H&W talk. It is a constant and not part of the salary. Just provide the true hourly rate, mention the H&W in a separate paragraph when you talk about benefits.

Anyone who has read these posts now knows about H&W but there are hundreds of USIS employees that don’t have a clue.

I took the first offer with KP. Honestly after the h and w dollars I am still getting a raise at the level 6 position. With the health benefit savings it will be like a $9000 increase in salary compared to what I was shelling out a year at USIS for basically no insurance. Cacis offer was under my salary at USIS but then after the health premiums it would have been a $7000 pay cut .

I don’t understand all the issues with getting CACI or Keypoint to match your salary. The majority of my team is going to CACI and most if not all got them to match their salary. Yeah most of us did not know anything about H&W but guess what their is this really cool thing call GOOGLE. If you failed to do your research and signed a crappy offer guess what it’s your fault. Most people on this forum seem to have at least 5 years of experience working this contract and if you don’t know your worth I feel sorry for you. I got two offers from both companies both matched my hourly salary with USIS before the H&W. The problem is a lot of folks sat around with their fingers crossed hoping USIS would somehow come back from the dead. When the bottom fell out know they want to apply and negotiate with CACI and Keypoint, Not so fast my friend. Just like any negotiation the power rest with the party with the advantage. It’s just like the saying goes, If You Fail to Plan, You Plan to Fail.

@All

Lets not argue with caci/kpgs recruiters. No one can possibly be more dishonest than USIS, and now we are no longer affiliated with them. Well, with the exception of all their TL’s flocking to CACI, I guess.

Starting at caci should have been a fresh start for all, but now all the cliques, favoritism, etc. will transfer right over from USIS to CACI. How can it not? TL is only human.

Here is an example. On my team, you did not dare, under any curcumstance, communicate with RD. If you did, expect wrath. So childish

Maybe some peoples salaries were to high for them to match. While I basically accepted the first offer with KP, I asked both companies twice if they could match mine at USIS or go higher and they said they could not. I am happy with my offer at KP amd I am fortunate like the rest of us to find a job. I mean we were unemployed for a day or two and we had two companies fighting to hire us, where does that happen anymore in this economy?

@deedisdone81

Our processe with KGS is nearly identical to the day with the exception I start 9/22. My computer and training materials came last Friday. I imagine yours will come Tuesday. You receive a printer after you test out. They will send you a tracking number for the computer so you will know the exact day of delivery.

@double07

I guess it makes a difference what area of the country you are located. I began applying as soon as we were furloughed. CACI offered me lower than USIS and told me that most of my work would be 90 minutes away and told another coworker they were not hiring in our area. Keypoint matched USIS after some negotiation but CACI did not. I think both companies were hesitant not knowing the fate of USIS. It wasn’t until after 9/9 that CACI got aggressive in my area.In fact one long time Sr Inv did not even apply to to either until after 9/9 (her head was in the stand) and then both offered her matching with no hassle. However, I don’t believe she has a clue about the H&W. Both companies did not have any full timers in my org and did not have enough work to warrant any. Now it’s 4 to Keypoint and 2 to CACI.If Keypoint was more aggressive, they would have all 6.

Either way, I think there will be plenty of work to go around and the future will be brighter than if USIS was still around.