Disposable Rant (Nicely) Room

@investigator123

I was given an option to start 9/22 or 9/24 but chose 9/24 as I’m out of town . Also I find out my TL cant send the creds back til 9/23 now. Have you done your drug test? I haven’t been scheduled for that

@deedisdone81

My drug test was the first e-mail I received after the offer letter. I was told where to go and had 48 hours to complete it. I signed my papers on 9/11 like you and the drug test paper work came the next day. Maybe shoot an e-mail to HR or your recruiter (if it was a KGS recruiter not the Triworth) (?).

Yeah my recruiter was from triworth and I just shot her an email, we will see what I hear. I’m excited though, looking forward to getting back to work.

Keypoint allowing you guys to start without a drug test? That’s weird.

FAQ from the Department of Labor regarding SCA Contracts. Am I missing something ?

V. Fringe Benefits: Vacation, Holidays, and Health & Welfare

If an employee was employed by the predecessor contractor and hired by the successor, does the vacation time earned with the predecessor contractor continue, stop, or does the employee start accruing new vacation time with the new contractor?

The vacation time continues, as long as there is no break in service. The contractor by whom a worker is employed at the time the vacation right vests (i.e. on the employee’s anniversary date of employment) must provide the full benefit required by the wage determination which is applicable on that date, whether or not it is the predecessor or the successor contractor. This is described in Title 29, Part 4 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Section 4.173.

Do employees receive fringe benefits when they are working under a wage determination?

Every covered contract in excess of $2,500 contains a provision specifying the fringe benefits to be furnished to service employees and must be paid in addition to the minimum wage. The fringe benefit amount is listed in the wage determination. SCA makes no distinction, with respect to its compensation provisions, between temporary, part-time, and full-time employees. However, temporary and part-time employees are only entitled to an amount of the fringe benefits specified in an applicable determination which is proportionate to the amount of time spent in covered work.

How is the health and welfare rate derived?

The health and welfare rate is the result of a nationwide survey of private industry conducted by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The Employment Cost Index private industry data is used to derive the single “total” benefits rate.

I currently receive $2.56 per hour for health and welfare benefits. How will the new single benefit rate affect me?

The $2.56 (total benefit) rate will be grandfathered until the new single benefit rate reaches or exceeds $2.56. The grandfathered rate will not apply to contracts for new services.

Is the health and welfare rate included in the hourly rate on the WD?

No. Fringe benefits are required to be provided separate from and in addition to the specified minimum hourly rate provided on the wage determination.

What does the health and welfare rate apply to, all hours worked or vacation and sick leave also?

Unless otherwise specified on the applicable wage determination, health and welfare payments are due for all hours, including paid vacation, sick leave, and holiday hours, up to a maximum of 40 hours per week and 2, 080 hours per year on each contract.

Can the contractor pay the employees their fringe benefits in cash instead of furnishing the required fringe benefits?

Yes. Fringe benefit obligations may be discharged by paying to the employee on his regular payday, in addition to the monetary wage required, a cash amount per hour in lieu of the specified fringe benefits, provided such amount is equivalent to the cost of the fringe benefits required. Records are kept separately showing the amounts to be paid for fringe benefits.

I heard that CACI requires their employer to buy certain benefits with their H&W allowance. If an employee does not elect benefits, they are still required to buy certain ones (forgot which ones) . So instead of getting $3.81, they would only cash out 2/3 of that amount. Does anyone know if KeyPoint does the same ?

@skylien

That is true. Part of your H&W goes toward the core benefits short & long term disability and life insurance. Even if you elect no benefits all investigators have to take and pay for these benefits. I’m not sure where you got that 2/3rd figure from I was told that these benefits would be less than $30 a pay check.

@cold-hard-truth

“Here is an example. On my team, you did not dare, under any curcumstance, communicate with RD. If you did, expect wrath. So childish”

The high school level shenanigans were ridiculous. I’m here to work, NOT to compete with co-workers stats, or having to always be on point as to what my TL and RD were scheming to try to screw me on next!

Politics is for the Govt. I’d have studied Poly-Sci if I wanted that garbage and certainly wouldn’t be working in this business if that was my background!

Always loved how we were scolded about “negativity” when it was blatantly obvious who were the worst offenders! @USIS-management: really a downer about that whole looking in the mirror thing, isn’t it?

@maclanton

What is your question?

Do CACI or Keypoint have to take your SCA leave and seniority? - I don’t know. They are not taking over the contract from USIS but already have their own existing contract. It is a good question that DOL may be able to answer.

Do you receive fringe benefits? - Yes.

Can H&W be used as part of your hourly rate? - No - strictly prohibited, even though USIS used to do this prior to Jan 2013.

Can they take certain benefits costs of employer benefits like accident death/disability or life insurance? Yes - they are bonafide benefits.

Can they pay in cash instead of providing benefits? Yes - the SCA allows the employer to decide how the surplus H&W is compensated. They can pay you cash subject to taxes or into you 401k which is not taxed.

@skylien

Yes CACI can take employer provided benefits from H&W. USIS did too. USIS also took your PTO and sick leave from H&W.

@ annoyed

I agree and the USIS TL were totally involved in this and earned bonusus to keep raises low or meet high production. CACI beware!!

Kevin-CACI,

Did you know that the TL from Jacksonville, NC is the subject of an integriy investigation for trying to coerce subordinates to work off the clock (reported the issue to USIS Integrity in June)? I only mention this because he’s been doing his best to get us (Investigators) to follow him to CACI but hasn’t even been up front about his motivations. He is one of those stellar go getters…best of the best you said CACI is going after. I’m sure he did not tell you about this as it was reported directly to the USIS Integrity department. Wasn’t even reported to the Regional Director because we were pretty sure he endorsed it (or at least looked the other way). I’m guessing the USIS complaint may be lost now…except that I have the original complaint that was filed…and intend to send it to the OPM IG if I end up working for him. But, you could always check with USIS yourself or ask him for a list of the Investigators that were on the team…2 or 3 phone calls to them will convince you that CACI has made a mistake.

On another note, is it true some USIS TLs are getting hired as Investigators? Isn’t there an OPM requirement to have actually worked cases…not just be credentialed. I have a hard time believing that the term “experienced investigator” includes the TL who sat at home for the past few years doing nothing but answering email (getting paid for doing nothing during our furlough), who hadn’t done so much as a record check in that time, who had their Field Trainer conduct all of the team’s checkrides, and who readily admitted they weren’t subject matter experts on investigations (they were strategic thinkers). Are you kidding, I doubt most former USIS TLs can even navigate FWS?

OPM…and those relying on quality investigations…deserve better than CACI (or any company) hiring someone just because they are a USIS TL who did investigations years ago.

The host on the CACI hiring webinar told everyone on the call that they will receive approx. 2/3 of the $3.81 H&W benefit if they elect don’t elect benefits.

Reading the CACI fringe benefits letter sent with the offer shows that the only employer provided benefit is life insurance and accidental death/dismemberment insurance. These are inexpensive costs to CACI which are taken from H&W. I doubt they will be more than $10 per pay check. No other deductions should be taken from the H&W unless you elect benefits such as a 401k and the CACI match will be from the H&W. CACI costs of other benefits may also be takes from the H&W.

Using my recent experience with both Keypoint & CACI recruiters, webinar hosts and HR reps, I expect they do not know the details of H&W and are only given an estimate. I cannot imagine where 1/3 of H&W would be going if you do not elect any benefits.

I have the CACI benefit information. I received it from a CACI benefits analyst as I wanted to know exact dollar amounts. Depending on how far you are in the hiring process you should have a received a benefit sheet that had a formula on it for calculating the cost of the core benefits. One formula for those making more than 50K and another for those making less than 50K. I was assured that no matter what you make these benefits would not exceed $30 per paycheck. The $30 is on the high end.

Thank you ,double07 for the clarification on the H & W benefits.

@myron

Seems I heard something that KGS would consider anyone that had worked on the contract within the last 5 years as being acceptable as an INV. Personally, if a TL had not worked cases in the field in the last year, I think I’d make them go through complete re-training again, as a lot can change with lightning fast speed in just a years time.

Unless one stays consistently up on this work on a day-to-day basis to keep learning it in a continuous OJT type capacity, they can quickly be left behind. This is my biggest beef with USIS TL’s and RD’s. Don’t demand things of me that you don’t have a clue about and could not do yourself at a moments notice! Have had at least a couple of my past TL’s admit that they “could not do casework again,” because they had been “so far removed” from it! Seriously? Yet, you get to sit and JUDGE me and my work? This is probably EXACTLY why many of them had their FTO’s doing the checks! FTO’s should’ve refused unless they were getting TL level pay as proper compensation!

The other indignity I observed were Associate level INV’s being tasked with Shadow and OJT training of new hires (NOT EVEN FTO’s mind you) and then STILL not getting promoted, given a bonus, or given any other kind of recognition. Was really starting to cause a lot of problems within the ranks the last few years, as the turn-over rate started increasing at a rapid pace. Why should one bother hurting their own stats and taking part in training somebody that most likely would not still be around 9 months to a year later? I heard of nearly 3/4 of new classes being gone by 4-5 months in! That is just not sustainable! At least they were smart enough to read the tea leaves!

“Strategic thinkers?” HA! Not even close! Doesn’t take any intelligence to be a simpleton bully. I’d just hate to be one of these people having to answer for themselves when it comes time to meeting their maker. How they sleep at night is amazing!

I simply am astonished at how USIS were running the field completely into the ground over the last few years. @CACI, you REALLY need to challenge all the former USIS TL’s to be REAL leaders and not the total and complete tyrants that they were! They are all guilty of heavily contributing to the environment and culture that lead to the belief of being bullet proof and being able to continue hood-winking the Govt.

Good thing there was a whistle-blower to stop it before it got much worse! I just hope that there are those types within the ranks at CACI and KGS, with the scruples to do the right thing again when the greed overpowers the intelligence!

Heavily agree with the prior sentiment of firing the people that tell upper management what they want to hear, instead of showing real initiative and telling it like it really is! Somebody that is too chicken to speak their mind, has no business being in leadership!

Stop calling that guy a whistleblower. He was just as corrupt and only came forward AFTER he was fired.

@duhmb

Personally, whether blake percival fired or not, he is epitome of a whistleblower, and i am elated he took down usis alone. He will be making 6 digit from all this. He will have saved taxpayer millions by disclosing severe corruption at USIS. I hope, and i know i would be one, there will be many others at caci and kpgs just like Blake, if needed.

I guess what i am saying is that everyone at this thread need to be just like blake if you notice fraud.

Blake is a hero and should be celebrated as such.

Actually, there is a good chance that Percivel will not see a dollar. OPM had already noticed some irregularities with regards to USIS’ reviews (dumping) and was starting to investigate before he blew the whistle. This fact was noticed by many on Capitol Hill who have already questioned whether he deserves any compensation or not.

Fedagent

I think envy a sin, but could be wrong.

I am 100% certain blake will make out quite well. DOJ investigation of usis largely based on blake testimony and docs.

And even if blake not receive a penny, he did the right thing, hands down. And what did it cost blake to do the right thing? Zero.

U da man, blake.

Not questioning of what he did was right…just stating the facts.