Disposable Rant (Nicely) Room

I just hope this industry starts being honestly competitive to keep the job worthwhile as a career and that this is part of coming reforms. Unrealistic, just-out-of-reach production expectations, coupled with consistently adverse field conditions and nothing but increasing administrative requirements, quickly wear out their welcome when an agency demonstrates it’s not going to fairly compensate for it. I fail to see where the McDonald’s constant turn-over business model has any justifiable, or honest place in this industry!

It has been communicated that there will be no 3rd contractor to replace USIS. KeyPoint and CACI are staffing up now as everyone knows. Once they reach their administrative capacity then OPM will staff up to a much smaller degree in order to handle the remaining portion of the work.

The only new contractor that OPM is bringing in will be to handle the support services contract.

1 Like

fedagent

The only bad thing about the government waiting on the contractors to staff up is that we all will be working and if we leave will have to pay back whatever bonus money we received. Well if we leave during year 1. Me personally I will pay it back if offered a government position.

Any what’s happening with the redistributed investigations? Is OPM starting them over in all cases? Are they trying to salvage anything they can? My references were contacted months before the furlough, but my investigation seems to have not made it back to OPM in time.

How long did USIS investigators have to submit an investigation once interviews were completed. All of my interviews were completed around July 25th. My agency will not answer any requests for information.

Sorry to all that have lost jobs!

Bummedout and offshore,

Just being realistic. This is the wrong topic forum to post your questions. There’s a separate forum for that. Also, unfortunately, we aren’t going to be able to provide much help as everyone is pretty much in the dark as to exactly what’s happening. All I can advise is to wait it out. There’s nothing you can do other than that.

So this really grinds my gears… For grins, I went to see what OTHER jobs that USIS has. They have a nice press release today about their GS&S work. I’m in the DC area and am retired from the federal govt, maybe there is something else i could do. Go check it out - all the investigator jobs, contract investigator jobs, etc are STILL POSTED. Regional Managers, etc. Don’t you think maybe SOMEONE should update the REAL opportunities so that some of us might stay on board in a different capacity?

Signed my written offer with keypoint today. Hopefully brighter days ahead for me. I would love to work as a fed agent in the future though

@shadow:…I agree with you. It would be better for us if opm adopt the state department model of direct contracting.

Direct contracting would be fabulous! And they could save so much money be eliminating the middle man. It is a very good model.

Contractor & 1099ic

Having read posts on AFCIA over the years, I got the impression that few independent contractors worked OPM and many refused to because it was not very cost effective and the reporting took up too much time. I am not being critical but curious if being an IC on the OPM contract is good pay.

OPM has been experimenting with direct contracting in the Ft Bragg area over the last year. It has been a complete mess and will not be continued or rolled out on a wider scale.

Can you elaborate anymore on that fedagent? Seems surprising and kind of a shame really.

Regina

Ive done work for USIS, Caci and kgs and usis paid the best… Contractors that I spoke with that work directly on the fbi and state dept contracts are very happy and your right they have no interest working on the opm contract. I know acbi is having a conference in late October and this will be discuss.

I joined ACBI recently due to all the turbulence in the industry. I plan on going to the conference to see if I can learn anything else. Regarding OPM contracting, USIS paid the most by far, KGS less and CACI really not much at all (in my opinion). But now KGS is the only one left with 1099 contractors, CACI went to part timers. The direct contracts with the federal agencies are the best from the contractor perspective.

Too bad the Fayetteville experiment didn’t go well. I actually saw the RFP when it came out and was intrigued. Considered putting in for it and making some trips down there to do the work. Timing wasn’t right though.

I joined ACBI for the same reason…Discovered them by accident. I may attend the conference. They seem to be our only reps for contracting because the middle man don’t care.

I think we all just need to “Shake It Off”!https://music.yahoo.com/video/shake-off-185633268.html

Best of luck to everyone! As long as we all get jobs, that’s all that matters really!

I wasn’t directly involved in the Fayetteville/Ft Bragg experiment so I don’t know specifics. However, it was apparently a headache for both the Feds overseeing the project as well as the independent contractors involved.

Then again, I have never been an independent contractor and don’t know the ins and outs like many of you probably do.

@ninjaturtle

Here’s a better video, with all due respect to Taylor Swift. The KGS background investigator job video: