Drug uses and contacts

For a TS investigation will I have to give them the names of the people I did drugs with lots of years ago? Will they find them and interview them too (not references)? Will they ask them about the same dates that I said in the application? I was 100% honest and put down all the drugs but I don’t know the exact number and worried they will say a different number or date and make me look like I’m lying

How many years ago is “lots of years ago”?

Specific names are not required by SF86, but depending on your investigator, you may be asked for more context during your interviews. Whether or not they will probe further by asking additional names and reaching out to them is hard to tell. I would like to hear more on that from actual investigators, but it doesn’t seem like a common practice in most cases. After all, they wouldn’t want the whole world to know you are being investigated for sensitive government work, right?

Some of it depends on the time frame, hence my question about how many years ago was the usage. In some cases, an investigator will need to seek people who have knowledge of the behavior. The obvious choice would be to interview folks who participated in the activity. Bear in mind, at no time are we gonna say “so, you and Bob smoked marijuana daily for three years, most recently on 1/1/23. Tell me about that”

We simply ask a question along the lines of “Has Bob used any illegal substances, including misusing prescription drugs” or “tell me about Sally’s use of drugs” Wording depends on the situation and the investigator. It’s best if people don’t lie, because then we may be required to keep interviewing people to find someone with knowledge of the activity. Plus lying when the report states that this person had first hand knowledge of the activity might make one wonder are they also lying about the person’s trustworthiness, integrity and honesty.

If the issue is within the coverage period then you will be asked those questions. You don’t “have” to answer as the interview is voluntary but if you do not answer it may not give the adjudicator enough information to make a determination on your clearance. All issue resolution questions will be asked including where you did the drugs, why, with whom, how you obtained them, if you still associate with the individuals you did the drugs with, who knows about your usage, what drug was done, etc. If you identify an individual, you will be asked if you have contact information for that person (they may or may not be contacted depending on what coverage the issue requires.) Contact information is always asked for but not necessarily always used.