Effective today all Security Clearances moved from DOD to OPM

Effective today all Security Clearances moved from DOD to OPM. I would expect serious delays of investigations currently in process. Please, what are your thoughts?
Merlin

Actually it has been in process for awhile now and transition should be complete IAW with the EO no later than 6/24/2019. Read this:
https://news.clearancejobs.com/2019/04/25/white-house-issues-executive-order-to-transfer-clearance-functions-to-dod/

1 Like

Marko,

Is it also true for the agencies that conduct their own clearances? Thanks

We have a lot of re investigations in the OPM queue, what will happen to these? Will they continue to be worked by OPM, or be moved to DOD? We already paid OPM to conduct these and I am not sure if the DOD charges a different price. I am concerned about potential delays, files being lost etc.

This affects only those agencies who used OPM/NBIB to complete background investigations. Those who completed their own investigations (FBI, NRO, CIA, etc) still do that. OPM did not bill you for an investigation until it is completed. They will sort that out I am sure.

1 Like

Moved from OPM to DOD you mean?

4 Likes

The IRS used OPM/NBIB to do the latest round of re investigations. I really think that this is going to be a mess.

How will this affect adjudication for civilian feds? Will the DoD be doing public trust and security clearance determinations for all of the agencies now? Mine had the OPM/NBIB do the investigations but adjudicated case files internally.

I wonder what this means for those of us with very recent eqips done. Will NBIB still be doing the investigations or will they hold then and wait until June to give them to the new agency?

That’s exactly what I am trying to illustrate, what is the governance for this lift and shift, I cannot be as easy as the they claim. I will bet your paycheck that it will be a disaster and cause further delays. We have hundreds of re investigations going on at treasury that just started in February, I can guarantee that if these are sitting at OPM on someones desk and the work will move over in June, they are not being worked.

I have been involved in transition meetings for the past year. To minimize the delays, all NBIB staff and facilities are being transitioned over to DoD. This should keep the case work moving without huge delays.

We are starting to see a lot of background investigation interviews being conducted over the phone as apposed to in person. Some investigators are telling my clients that they qualified for a phone interview as opposed to a in person interview. Do you have any insight on why this may be occurring? What does it mean to qualify for a phone interview?

This is to reduce the backlog. Rather than wait for the case to be scheduled to the field, certain case types can be done over the phone by an available investigator to expedite it.

Certain case types? What criteria do they have to meet because we are seeing a ton of these with no common denominators.

Generally, these case types also don’t mandate a candidate interview at all, unless their is an issue or some clarification needed on the responses in questionnaire.

Used to be, any interview at all for Secret was very unusual. Then it became much more common and I think they wanted to require it for all cases (not sure what Tier). I guess they have realized what that really means.

Good catch. BI and security clearance mission is being transferred entirely from OPM-NBIB to DoD-DCSA (pending approval of new name); not the other way around as OP’s title and post suggest.

To qualify for a phone interview opposed to an in person interview means there are no issues or very minor issues or things that need to be clarified. When you do not qualify for a phone interview that just means whatever issue is present is not allowed to be discussed over the phone or skype.

As far as interviews for Secret… the only time an interview is initiated is if there is an issue present that requires more information.

1 Like

Hi, where are you getting this information from? We have people with serious financial issues that are doing phone interviews, can you please list your sources?

I am a BI. Its also not what you consider serious. It is what the company considers serious. They are the ones who make the determination based on guidelines they were given.

1 Like