Good idea or bad idea?

I recently started a position with a contractor and it will require a secret clearance. Before I hired on I made a FOIA request for my previous investigation information so that I’d have a copy of my previous sf86, which I didn’t save from another application for a job I didn’t go to about two years ago. I also wanted to know whatever investigation information would be available so I could make sure I provide whatever information might have been missing the first time. I honestly didn’t know I’d be able to access my previous application again and it takes so long to gather everything. Well, I didn’t get the requested information until now, well into starting this new job and after I submitted again my application into eAPP.

Should I not open it? Should I inform the agency that’s investigating me? I haven’t been contacted yet, but I don’t want any issues to arise. I can’t think of any that would - I’d just know what they know and be able to speak candidly to it.

It’s up to you to save records of your SF86. Just fill it out again–not like you’re going to magically forget about something you think they should know about. Not sure how long an FOIA/Privacy Act request will take to process, but I’m guessing it would significantly delay you to wait. On the chance you forget something on your SF86, just let your investigator/security person know at the earliest possibility

When you open your new eApp form, it should show you all your previous SF86 responses. You can modify them as needed. Anything that is now out of scope you can remove. Also, you don’t HAVE to complete it if you see something that’s concerning on it. It automatically saves your spot. BUT, there is a deadline to submit before it expires. I think it’s like 1 or 2 weeks (depends on agency).

eApp didn’t show my previous SF86 filled out with eQIP / CESP. I had a downloaded copy on hand that I mostly pulled from but I am unsure if it is meant to pull all copies or just previous ones filled out on eApp specifically.

So I already filled it out and submitted it.

I’ve also already received the FOIA request info yesterday - weeks after submitting again, but like I said I haven’t opened it yet.

So I’m wondering what I should do with the FOIA information, and whether I should inform an investigator ahead of time?

Basically, I don’t want to give the investigator any reason to think I’m trying to do anything other than be honest about my information.

That’s interesting. My eApp included all of my previous eQIP responses and I know several others who said the same. I wonder if it shows for some but not all applicants?

You do not have to inform a perspective employer or any one else that you FOIA’d YOUR investigation. But going forward every time you have to fill out the eApp, download a copy of your SF86 BEFORE you submit it. That way you have your information at your fingertips and don’t have to wait for the FOIA response.

1 Like