Got the clearance, now what?

Question for the old timers here. A hypothetical situation… let’s say you are being processed for a TS by a contractor. By the time your investigation and adjudication is completed the position you were going for is no longer available but the contractor proposes another role for you in a different part of the country. So even though you don’t want to go 3000 miles away you kinda have to because unless you start the job - you won’t get read in, hence no TS. So now are are working for this contractor for a month, you have your TS and you find another job requiring TS but close to your home and family. How legal/ ethical is it to quit your job and the contractor that sponsored you and take a different offer? It would have been much simpler if you could get your clearance once adjudication is over, but that’s not how the world works, I understand. Thoughts?

I assume there was no relocation package for your move, because usually you have to agree to stay for a year or so or else you have to repay the relocation money.

It would have been much simpler if you could get your clearance once adjudication is over

Not sure what you mean here…

Anyway, you originally applied to a job close to your house, they suggested this other one thousands of miles away. I think it would be entirely appropriate for you to say, I found a job closer to home, this isn’t working out, I have to take this other job for family reasons.

You have no obligation to work for the company that supported your clearance. After your adjudication, you were eligible for a TS. You can, at that point, get another job and they can grab your clearance. This assumes that it’s the same agency or that they will reciprocate.

Yes, after adjudication you are ELIGIBLE for a TS, but you don’t actually have it. So in that case you have to accept the offer you don’t want in order for others to see your clearance in JPAS. Because if you don’t accept the offer, it’s like investigation never happened. Other agencies will never find your clearance in JPAS and you have to start over again.
My question is: if you start a job, get read in and then find another job in a week, can the original contractor that was sponsoring you somehow revoke that clearance?

I believe that JPAS will show you as eligible and that another company, if they know what they are doing, can take over. The same thing can happen during an investigation or adjudication, I see no reason that it can’t happen after as well.

To your question: No, they can’t. Your employer doesn’t own the clearance and can’t revoke it.

Thank you, Ed. Unfortunately, in my case after BI and adjudication was favorably completed by DOJ without a job offer - other companies could not see anything under my name in SC so another contractor had to start investigation from the beginning.

Notice that I said, "if they know what they are doing . . . " You have a completed and adjudicated investigation for a TS clearance. It’s somewhere.

Does the same rule apply for a secret clearance?

All things being equal, yes it does . . .

1 Like

Yes, I noticed that :). And I told about that to a new contractor sponsoring me as well as a DOD officer during the security interview. All they said: we checked, it’s not there. So now everything started from the beginning. What a waste.

I have never seen this work with DOJ (FBI/DEA). In my experience I have never seen anyone successfully crossover from one of these orgs to DOD even if there eligibility is verified in JPAS.

Can confirm based on personal experience.