Half siblings whom I've never had contact with (deceased father)

Here’s the deal . . . You don’t really have a say in whether or not he is contacted. You don’t get to skip answers because you don’t like what might happen.

At the same time, you will have a chance to point out that you have NEVER had contact with him. My guess is that they will run his name through a few database checks and drop the issue without contacting him.

But . . . That is just a guess . . .

2 Likes

I have a question.
I didn’t list half brother information in my equip.
After my biological father divorced with my mother, I met my biological father only twice in my life, I heard that there was a half brother. my father(deceased father), But I never met half-brother(never contact). I don’t even want to meet him. I don’t know DOB, name, where he live. I’m naturalized US citizen, he maybe lives in South Korea. I didn’t list half-brother information. Does this make any problem(delay or denial)?

You should have listed him. It’s tough to know if this will come out anyway or if you have slipped it past the process. Beware, in the future, of taking a poly for a TS position. This could easily trip you up.

2 Likes

Geesh. This reminds me of a 6 hour interview I had to do because an applicant didn’t bother to list all half-siblings, all employments, etc. We essentially had to redo the whole form during the interview. Please make an effort, if you only know a partial name - list it and explain in comments why you don’t know the rest of requested information. Do try to get in touch with them via social media or try to locate their info online. You can also mention your attempts in comments.

1 Like

I think the key sentence is you were adopted at 3 mos. Once adopted, your legal ties to bio family are cut. Just as there is no expectation to list bio family of someone adopted overseas, there is no expectation to list bio family in US. Your bio family are no longer your family members.

1 Like

I’m Secret Level(Tir 3), and completed in person interview.
Should I let the investigator know?

File this under the “over report vice under report column.” Give all possible info, and indicate no contact 35 years. I can just about guarantee if you say “do not contact this person…” they will contact that person. They will not release your address to a person. But in order to best vett a person they need know all the known relatives. Now, if mom or dad wandered around and had various off spring here and there…and you are none the wiser, you are not responsible. But if you are aware of them even with just a name…list them.

1 Like

Your bio family are still reportable if you know who they are. If you are adopted, you need to list your original name as “other names used”. If you know your bio parents, half/step/sometimes/even if you don’t like them/siblings, to include siblings adopted/foster by either set of parents.

If you don’t know your bio family names and data - simply report that in the comments section.

I have confronted Subject’s for not listing all names they were known by. The “but I was legally adopted” doesn’t reduce the issue - it is reported as intentional omission.

1 Like

I’ll just have to respectfully agree to disagree. I do agree on other names used, but once the adoption takes place, your bio parents/siblings are no longer your relatives. Just as a divorce terminates a relationship with a step-parent/siblings/step-children/MIL and FIL.

1 Like

Respectfully disagree or not, the Subject is required to report the information.

According to? Without disclosing any internal information, I have not read any printed material on this. Do you still ask for in-laws after a divorce?

If you divorce – they are no longer your in-laws. Biological parents (and original name) will always bein your biological parents (and your first alias).

leave off your family members on your next SCA submission and see if the investigation questions you about the omission.

1 Like

I personally have no adoption circumstances in my family, but I have come across the situation many times in the field. There has never been a request by the higher ups, including OPM/NBIB, for information on bio family when there is an adoption. If that is the way that you have always conducted your investigations, good on you. No reason to get testy.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies!! if it comes to it, ill list what i know…his name and state he lives in, and that i have never had any contact with him since birth.

1 Like

I actually completed a paper sf 86, just to have it ready if/when the time comes. The directions for family didnt have an option for anything other than parents…siblings…half and step siblings. Nothing about biological and/or legal guardians if both are applicable…etc. I wont worry about it.

Can my sibling lose his job due to my own clearance investigation

If your asking can you and your sibling hold a clearance at the same time…the answer is yes.

There are conflicting schools of thought on this. I’ve heard personally from some experienced Federal investigators, that you do not have to list relatives that you are not connected to (i.e. a father that you have never met). However, I know that the contractor companies usually want all relatives listed or explained. In this case, there are two different things that you can do to protect yourself from a future headache.

1. List the the details that you know about all your required relatives. Make sure you do not leave any blanks. You will have several “i don’t know” answers indicated and will have to include a comment indicating that you have no contact with them. The investigator will likely confirm that you have no contact with them and then ask you nothing further. You should not be expected to ask for personal details about someone you don’t know.

2. You can simply list the information for the relatives that you are connected to and then list a comment at the end of the section stating that you have several half-siblings on your father’s side, but that you have never met these individuals and could not list them due to not knowing the required information about them.

I have had individuals list it both ways, and in my experience, both have been acceptable by reveiw.

1 Like