Help Needed? Should I or shouldn't I?

Hi guys, I am a little worried about this. my mum is married to a Ghanaian doctor, who wants to start his Adjustment of Status here in the US. They live together in California. She’s asked me to be a co-sponsor, cause she don’t make enough income but I am worried if that will affect me getting security clearance in the future. Should I agree to co-sponsor him ? @GoNats @sbusquirrel @Marko

1 Like

Clearance issues aside, all that can be reported and dealt with, do you truly understand the legal responsibility you are agreeing to by being a sponsor? I would HIGHLY recommend consulting with an immigration attorney BEFORE agreeing to take on any responsibility. Find out worst case scenarios and how that legally affects you.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply and yes I have consulted an immigration attorney. I just need to understand how that affects my security clearance in the future.

1 Like

It’s not really a big deal because Ghana is not a heightened risk country. It will have to be reported and it will cause additional questions to be asked during your interview with the investigator but it won’t cause clearance denial unless he is some kind of terrorist or something.

2 Likes

One concern that might arise would be if it were some kind of immigration fraud. But that would only be an issue (I think) if you suddenly decided to sponsor someone you barely knew… in this case, there appears to be a legitimate family connection. Nonetheless, some government agencies might give this matter more scrutiny than others, particularly if you would be working on-site and have access to computer systems.

Thank you @sbusquirrel. I am hoping to get TS / SCI clearance in the near future. Currently working in a Correctional Facility.