How many cases at once?

I’m wondering how many cases investigators normally take on at one time. I think my person is working some other cases but I’m not sure how many. Just wondering. Do things tend to slow down around this time of year–either intentionally or unintentionally?

It really depends.

I once had 125 cases on my units assigned while working in high load area (4 week TDY - NVA).

NBIB and each contracting companies have different measuring processes for the measuring the workload - field investigators normally carry enough work on hand for two to three weeks.

Field work is like shoveling sand out into the ocean, each time an investigator transmits a case - more work comes in. The only times I recall having no work assigned were the brief periods I was switching employers - so twice since 2000.

So I have to ask.

Bear with me here…

My agency does its own background (MD based)… I’m from Philadelphia.

My credit was ran in mid August, the issue was mitigated, their response: “Your processing will continue…”. It’ll be 3 months the 24th of November since they responded to mitigated issue.

In your professional opinion, could it be a workload issue, logistical issue or it’s just sitting on someone’s desk?

(At this point, I’m just waiting to hear about my subject interview)

Thanks backgdinvestigator. My guess is also that some cases have priority over others–I suppose the issues involved may be a factor? Do re-investigations have priority over initial investigations?

I have to ask for myself. How do you know when the credit was ran?

For me, they actually reached out to me about to accounts that needed to be handled.

Oh ok got cha! Thank you.

Yup, anytime. This is entire process is frustrating…

I don’t know the exact process for prioritization other than initials are normally a higher priority.

My priorities are the deadlines given by my boss for each case…

There are credit monitoring services you can sign up for that alert you when inquiries are made.

Case in point -
I use myFICO and am alerted immediately. In fact, someone tried to open credit lines at 2 retail stores in my area a few months ago and I was alerted. I filed a police report and the local PD got security footage that they were able to associate with the credit application time stamp (the idiot applied in person in the store with a fake ID) and were able to track him down.

The credit lines were closed, and both creditors removed the inquiries and credit history from my reports. #Justice

I have anywhere from 20 - 40 cases at any given time. There’s no shortage of things to do, that’s for sure. I try my best to get done with things as quickly and efficiently as possible, as I know what it’s like to be a subject of these investigations and the endless waiting. There’s only so much I can in a 40 hour week though. Cases get reopened quite a bit, so some things have to get sidetracked in order to handle whatever rework is needed on a reopened case. Tracking down leads with outdated contact information is also a huge time sink

And were you saying you yourself were assigned 125 cases? Am I reading that correctly??

Yes I was. I was TDY for one of the contracting companies. 4 weeks of 60 hour work weeks in N. VA - I returned cases for the first time - 5 to be exact - and my manager (never worked as an investigatgor btw) had a fit that i didn’t do them before leaving. This was one of the reasons I jumped to the federal side - that same manager.

Some employers will never say thank you for any reason.

For the record - I might get 4 reopens a year - if that many. So my cases stay closed.

Random question: do NBIB investigators work CI investigations or similar things or are those handled by NCIS, OSI, etc? I think my guy is working something like that…hence why I’m not a high priority.

And when you have a case that’s complex and going to take a lot of time, do you work on it in bits and pieces, or move it to the back of the pile, or none of those?

4 a year! Teach me your ways.

Complex cases get dragged along (worked) while I work other cases. CI referrals are an internal process that shouldn’t be discussed here.

I have kept my reopens down, even as a contractor, because I learned to be thorough and to write to the adjudicator. I was also lucky enough as a contractor (about 10 years ago) where I worked closely with reviewers. I learned a lot from that experience. The biggies? Write lots of white space in the ROI , get to the point but gather all the information required, don’t over report non-issues, be methodical in your writing, and I-Notes are the investigator’s best friend.

My last four reopens were three missed law checks from developed residences (six months or more) and a rental record from an old SSBI case where the Air Force member lived on Lackland for 93 days.

I’ve only been on the job for a year so I’ve had about a million reopens so far. Luckily I’m pretty decent at learning from my mistakes so the reasons for the reopens are getting smaller and smaller. I don’t mind a reopen as long as I don’t have to recontact a Subject, to me there’s nothing more embarrassing than that. One of my very first ESI’s was reopened almost 8 months after the interview and I had to recontact the subject for a minor clarification that wasn’t in my notes. That was super embarrassing, especially since so much time had passed since the initial interview.

Whereas I will contact a Subject to clear something up before I will have them pull my notes. It really is quicker, when needed, and the Subject normally is curious about the case anyways.

“(Subject), this is BGI calling for (additional information/clarification) for review so we can get your case to the adjudicator. (ask whatever is needed)”.

Embrace the Subject contact. It helps speed the case down the pipeline.