IC Poly and Adjudication Process

Many Congrats!!!
How did you find out? Mail, email, telephone call?
The moving part should be exciting, congrats again.
Waffles how long has it been since your last poly? Roughly. I saw you posted you were going in for your 4th poly did that happen or you got the offer before you actully went?
So many questions!!

1 Like

Hi! Thanks! I went in for my poly(s) mid-August. I got through the third one. I think I responded to a person on this thread that was going for a fourth, but I only had three. And they were all scheduled back-to-back while I was on site.

So last one was mid-August. I submitted my SF86 last October (2018). I had significant foreign travel and foreign national colleagues/friends because of my academic career.

But, I am so relieved! Hang in there, it is a process.

Great to hear. Gives me hope. Always glad to hear someone who made it through the process.

1 Like

Had my fourth poly and was told I cleared up the issues from the previous ones and passed. Whew. For reference I submitted SF86 in early July of 2019.

2 Likes

Anyone else in the 2+ years in adjudication club yet?

Im at 17 months since submitting SF86 for TS SCI. Not sure if Iā€™m in ajudication

Your FSO should be able to look it up in JPAS

Sorry to hijack this thread. Iā€™ve seen your posts that if there is unadjudicated information, the process is to submit as initial and then do a crossover. I tried to crossover from MD to VA and got the unadjudicated information feedback. My company is now submitting me as an initial and that is now in progress.

My question now is, can they try to do a crossover so that I wonā€™t have to wait?

Has anyone in the know such as @amberbunny ever explained how adjudication could last so long? I can understand the BI etc taking a long time, but once all the security steps have been completed how could a case sit on an adjudicatorā€™s desk for so long without a decision being made? Are cases ever ā€œslow rolledā€ on purpose?

1 Like

There are numerous factors involvedā€¦ one is sheer numbers - X amount of cases being adjudicated while there are only b available adjudicators.

Also, each case has to be weighed individually, Adjudication is not a ā€œstamp 'em all good todayā€ process.

1 Like

If it takes forever, youā€™ll wait forever.

Sad state of affairs, for sure.

I totally get waiting in line while the process does itā€™s work, I just donā€™t understand how an adjudication could take upwards of two or three years while some are done in weeks?

1 Like

Because of the numbers. If you are number 700 in line and each takes only 1 week. Well you can see how.ot will take forever
Now say you are only number 50 in line and each takes about 3 weeks to do. Then you can still see why it takes a long time.

Doubtful that thereā€™s even a line. I would be very surprised if it were a ā€œfirst-come-first-serveā€ process and not a combination of needs, difficulty of the case, with time in adjudication coming a distant third.

Iā€™ve been in adjudication for over two years and counting with a pretty easy case.

3 Likes

My case is probably one of the most complex that Iā€™ve seen but it is with the DoD and not IC.

Add in complexity of the case, name traces for foreign contactsā€¦deep dive into credit or possible crim concerns, weighing against the whole person concept, multiple levels of reviewā€¦is it for a deep dive? So many variables.

Question- I am an initial. I did my poly (FSP) and my polygrapher said ā€œI gave everything I needā€. The investigator called 4 days ago and said he was writing up the investigation. Would I have any reason to believe that I would need another poly?

Makes sense to me. One final question that I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever heard properly explained is the dividing line between giving a suitability denial and a clearance denial once security and poly/psych has been completed. If an agency can deny suitability at any point in the process, what is the distinction needed to actually go and issue a clearance denial?

It works in oneā€™s favor to get a suitability denial. That has no limitations on reapplying, and is not required to be listed as a denial. When I performed as a Security Manager I declined to put in process up to 75% of our applicants. If they used MJ within the past 12 months, or were heavy users out to 24-36 months or had a FICO under 630ā€¦I would tell them how to fix it (time, abstain moving forward, pay all bills), and have them come back in a year. Had I submitted and they were denied, they lost a year in process and could not reapply for another year. And they had to list the denial on future SF86ā€™s moving forward. Over time, if one spends enough time in the job you get a good feel for who has the highest probability of clearing. My predecessor had a policy of submitting everyone and seeing who cleared. I found that to be endless work on sloppy forms, missing info, and a low probability of clearing. I started declining the vast majority of applicants, helping the backlog in a small way and we then got 99.9% of our applicants cleared. Disciplinary problems dropped dramatically as well over time. Did I on occasion deny a person who may of cleared? Maybe.

1 Like

Do you have any insight on the percent of applicants currently in the investigation/ajudication stage who get cleared? Particularly in the IC?