Interim granted, concerned about full

Hello,

I received my interim Secret clearance fast. I have no criminal record, debt, or loans. I have been fired once several years ago but not for any kind of misconduct, and had family living overseas but mitigated those concerns with the investigator.

However one of my recent employers has a chip on their shoulder because my former boss really dislikes me. They are making up lies about me, such as saying to the investigator I was fired when I was laid off, and even told the investigator I was fired for having health problems that I do not have.

I was able to provide documentation of the layoff (provided the unemployment insurance paperwork which states I was laid off, proof of receiving unemployment payments, etc—in my state you cannot receive benefits if fired), positive performance reviews, and several other pieces of documentation and told the investigator that the health problems are completely fabricated (my former employer is retaliating).

I have a squeaky clean record, and an excellent credit score that is between 730-770.

My former employer is financially incentivized to stop my clearance for certain reasons which I explained to the investigator.

I’m worried my former employer’s fabricated claims about my health and firing and other negative things will somehow mess up my clearance process and result in denial though I was granted an interim.

Any thoughts? Feeling concerned as keeping my job depends on getting fully cleared.

Former investigator here and not an adjudicator.

Based on the facts you’ve presented, albeit somewhat confusing, I think you’ve made a strong (mitigating) case and shouldn’t be overly concerned about getting the clearance.

Some things jump out at me. How do you know your employer actually said what you claim they said? I would bet dollars to donuts it is not nearly as bad as you think. Trust me, it is rare for an HR or former coworkers to provide derogatory information on a former employee unless it is clear cut with a pattern of disciplinary or performance issues. And even when they do they are very careful in choosing their words.

But I understand your concern. When it involves ourselves we start to get paranoid and imagine all kinds of worst-case scenarios.

Many writers have memorable quotes dealing with our human tendency to worry when it’s largely unwarranted:

“I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.” — Mark Twain
“My life has been filled with terrible misfortune; most of which never happened.”— Michel de Montaigne

If I were you I wouldn’t give it one more second of worry. I think you’ll be fine.

2 Likes

If you were fired for health problems, I think you have a good lawsuit on your hands. That is a real no no for employers. I wish people would use that term “fired” less. Firing implies disciplinary issues and/or wrongdoing and/or illegal activity and 9 times out of 10 people say they were fired when none of these issues existed.

1 Like

Thanks. The investigator told me the former employer had said I left due to health issues. That’s all I know. When you say that it may not be as bad as it seems, what do you mean? Is there a chance the investigator might be exaggerating something?

Thanks. I spoke to a lawyer. For the potential legal suit, I’m trying to see about getting a written copy of my investigation–the lawyer said that would be an absolute prerequisite to any successful legal claim here.

If I’m able to get a copy of the investigation, would the investigation report definitely contain these statements if the investigator told me that they were made?

The lawyer said the government may choose not to release certain pieces of my investigation to me, meaning I might not be able to get proof the employer made those comments. Could that happen?

Thanks again.

Unless your employer is your medical practitioner, their word about your health is irrelevant.

1 Like