Is it worth applying to any other federal job?

Hey everyone,

I learned somewhat recently that my processing was discontinued due to “purposeful non-cooperation” during the polygraph. Basically, I have some anxiety problems and during the test my heart felt like it was about to beat out of my chest. So I breathed a bit to try and calm myself. The examiner grilled me real hard about this, and I think this is what did me in. Regardless of my feelings about this, it seems like this is final and it is what it is.

Now, I’m wondering if this result will follow me if I decide to apply for any federal position.
In particular, I intended to reapply to the FBI soon (I failed phase 2 last October), and was wondering if this polygraph result has blacklisted me from any other federal job requiring a clearance with poly. I’d rather know now than waste my time applying to other government positions.

Thanks!

I believe that in this instance, “purposeful non-cooperation” is a circumlocution for “attempted countermeasures.” It is likely to disqualify you from any federal position that requires a security clearance.

From what I’ve heard, all second-hand, is that FBI cooperates very little with agencies outside of DOJ, so maybe it is worth a shot to apply with them.

The poly isn’t going to change. If you have severe anxiety, you’re as likely to fail next time too. You can try explaining that you get panic attacks or whatever, and maybe get some documentation from a therapist, but, I doubt it would help much. Frankly, cleared jobs can be high stress so you may want to rethink this field if you have a lot of anxiety.