Moving Abroad With Clearance and Then Coming Back

Hello,

I currently hold a TSr. In college, I was an exchange student in Australia, and loved it there. I always wanted to go back and live there for a couple years. My company is an international company and therefore I have opportunities to move there, most likely working an unclass position. I’m wondering if moving there for a couple years (with all intentions of moving back after), would jeopardize my clearance. I understand there’s a 5 year re-investigate cadence for TS. I think I would time my travel so that the two years abroad would be within the 5 year boundary. But, when it comes time to re-investigate, is there any chance I would lose my TS?

Thanks!

A similar question was asked recently and what I offered was that you probably would not “lose” your TS but it might be tricky to get it reinstated quickly. If you do pursue this, keep records of any trips abroad you might take while in Australia and it might help if you can find an American or two over there who can be used as a reference, if only to verify your place of employment and residence.

1 Like

You certainly wouldn’t LOSE your clearance but you would be out of scope and therefore with almost 100% certainty you would be asked to submit a new SF86. There is anecdotal evidence that shows when a new SF86 goes up and the previous investigation is within X number of years they somehow/someway factor that into their investigation. I’ve heard that two (2) years is the magic number…but take it with a grain of salt.

A lot of people need to remember that you don’t ever LOSE your clearance unless you are Punitively Debriefed for Cause - you’ve done something, or your suitability has been called into question, Felonies, Crime, etc. Majority of folks who think they have ‘lost’ their TS or S or whatever…they are just INACTIVE. So long as you are still a upstanding person you should be fine to come back - the length of the Investigation & Adjudication notwithstanding.

1 Like

If you’re seeking clearance for the CIA, be aware that they will review the records of the Canberra Station for any indication of derogatory behavior on your part while in Australia.

1 Like

Unless this guy starts hanging out with ISIS of the Outback I doubt anything will show up on their records, even if they did run such a check.

1 Like