Nervous about getting intermin clearance

Hello all! I recently submitted a SF-86 to start the adjudication process. About 7 months ago I filled out a SF-85 and OF 306 for another agency, but I omitted being fired from a retail position I had in college. Now, I have corrected my mistake and put the firing on my recent SF-86 form and OF 306 form.
Do you think this was hurt my chances of getting an intermin clearance? I have no other black marks on me, no criminal history, no drug use, and have excellent credit etc. The job I’m hoping to get is still public trust, but it’s the highest tier public trust. Please let me know what you think and if you need me to clarify something please let me know.

Did you get turned down for that job? If so, that denial could impact a subsequent investigation since there are rules for how soon you can apply again. At least that is true for security clearances, not sure about public trust.

No, I currently have the job that I filled out the forms for 7 months ago.

I’d say yes, that will likely be an issue…

Let’s assume that they notice the difference in the forms. The investigator will want to know why you omitted that from the first form. The incident itself, getting fired from a job while you were in college, is not terribly serious as long as you weren’t fired for stealing or some other criminal activity. But not listing the fact that you were fired is a problem… they could assume that you intentionally lied to hide getting fired. Not saying you did, but that could be their initial reaction.

Not a huge problem, but may prevent you from getting an interim… again, assuming they notice, and that’s a pretty good assumption.

If I am asked about the discrepancy how do you think I should respond?

I guess the best advice is to reply honestly. Maybe you forgot about it and realized your mistake when you filled out the form the second time? I don’t know if there is an answer that will completely mitigate the issue.

If I were you, I would first familiarize myself with the mitigating conditions under Guideline E of the Adjudicative Guidelines. Then I would make a prompt, good-faith effort to correct the falsification before being confronted with the facts of your firing. Meaning, discuss this with the investigator that you are going to have to meet with for your BI. Additionally, explore mitigating conditions under Guideline J due to the fact that you supplied the government with evidence that you committed a felony (18 USC 1001).

What is likely going to be evaluated next are the circumstances surrounding your employment termination. Were you fired for something relatively minor/moderate like absenteeism or petty rule violation? Or were you terminated for a major conduct issue involving dishonesty, criminal or violent behavior? The reason for your termination will ultimately reveal to the government whether or not your falsification was material; meaning, if it were initially disclosed on your first OF-306 would the government still have hired you.

Remember none of us are perfect. We are human, and by design flawed. Learn from this mistake and do not repeat the behavior. Own it and press forward. Best of luck.

@sbusquirrel has also given you good advice.