No contact from intelligence community agency for 1.5 years after poly & BI

Hi all,

I’ve been processing with an intelligence community agency for quite some time now. Over 2 years since SF86, 1.5 since references were contacted & I was polygraphed.

I have extended family that I have no regular contact with in an adversarial country and haven’t really been too surprised by the timeline because of this, I’ve just assumed it takes time

However I have read from some other applicant’s anecdotes on here that they’ve received an occasional check in from the hiring agencies to confirm they’re actively processing. I’ve never received one of these, and since covid have not been able to get in touch via the phone extension I was told to call if I had questions.

Kind of starting to worry I may have already been sent a rejection letter that got lost in transit or something. I imagine it varies by agency, but can any other IC applicants share some insights if they’ve heard anything back in the last year, or been able to get in touch with anyone?

Thanks!

Did you have to submit forms to MAD/ MADO for your foreign contacts? That can take at least a year to process, and that’s after your TS/SCI has been adjudicated.

Not quite the same length as you but I interviewed nearly 5 months ago for a position in the IC and haven’t heard anything. My online portal still says I’m in consideration but hasn’t changed since before the interview.

Nothing to those specific offices as far as I know, but there were some auxiliary forms I submitted for them on top of the SF-86. I’m guessing that’s a similar process that’s adding some time then. Appreciate the info!

1 Like

COVID has thrown off those periodic check-ins for me. I’m at ~21 months since SF-86 and ~18 months since poly/psych/medical. I’ve only gotten one “still processing” call over the past year.

If you have a general contact number for the applicant processing office, try calling that rather than just your POC. Periodically, POCs leave for other opportunities, and it is possible that is the case for you.

And, if all else fails, there is always the option to contact your congressperson. They can at least get the agency to confirm that you are still actively processing.

The military members are the only ones that submit for MADO.
Edit: This may not be true.

24 months is not unusual. After 24 months I recommend shaking the tree.

Why do you have to disclose anything?

@Amberbunny2, any thoughts on how to shake the tree as a govie hire without an FSO contact? The applicant processing office claims they don’t have insight into the security side of things when I call, so I’m not sure what other options are available.

That is the hardest spot to be in. Government side will tell you nothing other than “in progress.” It is a stone wall to those on the outside. I feel for you. My advice is not to wait by passing other opportunities up. If a decent job comes along, take it. 24 to 36 months is sadly the norm.

3 Likes

Did you get the hiring manager/interviewers contact info?

Unfortunately, my only contact is in HR’s applicant processing office. I was interviewed by a few people nearly 2 years ago, but I don’t think the interviewers usually keep in touch with applicants for this specific agency.

If you are ever in this situation again, don’t hesitate to ask the hiring manager for contact info. They want you just as much as you want them and can be your biggest advocate on the ‘inside’.

1 Like

Not unusual. 18 to 24 months was the norm.

1 Like

I’m currently over 30 months. I’ve been told with the pandemic things came to a halt and it’s going to be awhile before they start clearing out the backlog.

I’m in a similar boat - almost 3 years. Resubmitted sf86 a few months ago. I knew it would take a long time, but I’m just hoping it ends favorably. Would be devastating to have waited this long just to get a “no”.

2 Likes

"’ve never received one of these, and since covid have not been able to get in touch via the phone extension I was told to call if I had questions.

Kind of starting to worry I may have already been sent a rejection letter that got lost in transit or something. I imagine it varies by agency, but can any other IC applicants share some insights if they’ve heard anything back in the last year, or been able to get in touch with anyone?"

Don’t think that. Been over 16 months since my medical and poly and background. All finished sometime before Covid but I still get regular still processing calls. I feel if you were going to get a letter it would have come to make way for others.

One thing that was suggested for me to do was regularly call the POC number you were given and update them on any achievements, certifications, training etc you may have gotten since the interview. The thought process is that is someone starts processing after you who may be more qualified or have an easier adjudication they may leap frog you in the process. Sounded good to me so I do that now. IDK if there is any truth to that or not but again it sounded like it made sense.