OTH discharge over 20 years ago - should it be a job issue now?

I’m talking with a private company about doing work for them on a military base. It’s a good job and pay. But over 20 years ago when I was a young punk, I was briefly in the military and got an OTH discharge after six months in. I never even started a job; most of this time was being processed out. I’ve never claimed to be a veteran all the years since, nor claimed benefits. I’ve since married and started a family. Would this be an issue all these years later?

Probably not, your work history since then is more important.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t be a concern.

2 Likes

I suspect that it will come up for discussion. Be prepared with as much information as you can and explain that you realize that you were a “young punk”, regret the past and have moved on to build a better life.

3 Likes

Concur above. Wisdom is wasted on the old, youth…on the young. Meanwhile if you checked to see if you can get that legally changed…I would recommend it. You still report it as such but wouldn’t it feel good to change that characterization of discharge if it wasn’t that expensive? If every other aspect of your life has since recovered…maybe not. Just a thought.

1 Like

I was wondering about that… maybe it could be upgraded to a general discharge? Not sure how that works but I have heard of administrative upgrades or whatever it is called.

1 Like

Good news. I talked with the lady who does the onboarding for new hires, and I told her about the situation. She said not to worry about it and that she’d go over the pertinent paperwork when I started. Whew

2 Likes

Sounds like a positive affirmation to me!