Previous background / polygraph question

If a sf85p moderate background investigation is being conducted, what data bases are information on individuals background being pulled from? If a person had a background investigation for employment conducted by a police department, is that something that can be found on any of these databases or is that only going to be found if the applicant tells an investigator this? Is there some kind of mark or signature in the data base from the department showing they had looked at the information? Same thing with the polygraph, is there a national database for those or are those records only kept by the agency where the polygraph is conducted? Thank you in advance!

It sounds like you are worried about a discrepancy in information you did or did not disclose. In any case, police departments do not run federal background investigations, therefore no data is kept by any federal agency regarding the results. However, you are required to list all employment and a check of your security and personnel files may disclose any issues that were uncovered. Polygraphs work the same way, federal versus civilian. There is always a chance, especially in today’s information sharing environment, that the results may be released.

Sir, Thank you for your quick response. I filled out the Sf85p , which I had no negative information on that. I did have to fill out a supplemental questionnaire form asking specifically if I had ever committed a misdemeanor or felony. This is where the polygraph question comes into play. I had went through the hiring process with a police department and had taken a polygraph.Since I was not hired, I would think this polygraph and background would not be on any record federal or local unless it was asked for at the police station from the recruiting department. Does this sound about correct?

If you were not hired for the position then more than likely those results will never see the light of day because you were never employed by them. Be aware, however, that agencies like the FBI do keep application results and provide those with derogatory information to OPM on regular basis for investigations.

I realize this is an older post but just came across it while scrolling. Are you telling “ffiggs88” the FBI keeps background investigations and polygraphs from state and local agencies on file and reports them to OPM?

Not polygraphs because OPM has no authority to require one. Just information on investigations involving the subject of the background investigation.

Wondering if they ever uncovered your prior application to the police dept. I am in the same boat, applied to a local PD, failed poly and was never employed. I applied for a volunteer role. Everything was on paper, the only electronic item I did in the process was fingerprinting. I am not in a TS investigation but no clue if that will be uncovered??

The FBI at least used to ask about all of your current or prior applications to federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies on the FD-140 (Application for Employment) that you had to fill out prior to the SF-86 and what became of them. I’m sure they still ask on an FBI-specific form or web application somewhere during the application process, like most other law enforcement agencies tend to do.

There’s no centralized master database for law enforcement agency applications, but they will get an idea of what agencies you may have applied to when they run your fingerprints and then see all the times you’ve been fingerprinted and by whom.

No centralized data base for polygraphs as wel? Even for civilian vs federal? Or each side keeps their own stuff.

Non-federal law enforcement agencies virtually always hold onto their own documents. Even federal ones typically run applicants through their own internal process and security clearances, which usually require a polygraph.

When you’re applying at a law enforcement agency, during the polygraph or background investigation phase of the process, they will usually ask you about your applications to other law enforcement agencies. The hiring and agency doing your background investigation will then contact those other agencies to verify your current application status with them and request copies of your application documents (e.g. resume, application form, polygraph questionnaire and report, personal history questionnaire, security clearance forms (if federal), physical/psychological exam forms and reports, etc.) and compare them all to ensure that everything is consistent or to make sure you weren’t disqualified for something like lying on a form.

Thank you for your response, i had the same scenario as the original post that failed a local PD poly amd submitting now for a publis trust .(sf85p). Didnt know if i should bring this up to my investigator or they will bring this up. Im sure if i failed a poly in the federal side they will be able to see that coreect?

It really only matters if you’re applying at another law enforcement or intelligence agency. Otherwise, your polygraph results with a local PD aren’t typically looked at.