Questions about Academic Integrity and Cheating

Hi all. I anticipate receiving an offer from an agency that will require TS/SCI w/ poly. I have multiple red flags (former alcohol abuse including misdemeanor arrest, drug use, MJ sale, one time prostitute in legal country), but what I want to examine here is academic integrity.

I cheated sporadically in high school and in college. I was accused my senior year of high school and went before the honor council, but I successfully argued my case and did not receive an honor violation. After that, I continued to cheat up to my senior year in college, where I was caught in Fall 2022. I cheated exclusively on quizzes and tests, and never plagiarized or cheated on essays. After being accused, I admitted what I did to the professor, wholly and completely. I received a “letter of discontent,” NOT an honor violation, and this letter was expunged from my transcript upon graduation. I attribute my years long pattern of academic dishonesty to laziness and a lack of care for academic rules.

However, before getting caught, I had known for a while that cheating violates fundamental values of mine and is incomparable with the person I sought to become and the person I knew I was in my heart. Since being caught over a year ago, I have not cheated since. Additionally, I went to counseling for this issue, even while knowing that it would never happen again, to be absolutely sure I had addressed any and all underlying contributors to my cheating. While I know it will never recur (totally different worldview, acting in accordance with my values, respect for all rules), I am gravely aware it represents a very long pattern of behavior that casts serious doubt on my integrity and trustworthiness, with only a bit over a year of track record to the contrary. I take full accountability and genuinely live a reformed life now. But I understand talk is cheap, especially with this past.

Questions:

1. What can be done to mitigate this concern? I understand passage of time is good but I don’t have any way of proving definitively that I haven’t cheated since Fall 2022, even though I haven’t.
  2. How should I report this on the SF86 (if at all)?
  3. Am I screwed? Especially when combined with my other extensive red flags?
  4. Is a year enough time to mitigate?

Wow! There is so much here that I am wondering if you are a legit user or just trolling…
Academic fraud
Alcohol abuse
Drug use
Drug dealing
Arrest history
Prostitution

Did I miss anything?

For the sake of argument, I wouldn’t really know where to start. My biggest concern would be the recent, long-running pattern of cheating and deception. I don’t really see how you would be approved for a TS with all that. You’d almost be better off lying and hope they don’t catch it. Ignoring that, I’d hate to even wonder how long it would take to investigate all this.

Additionally, some of that stuff (drug dealing) might be profoundly illegal (federal level) and if they uncover it during investigation, it could potentially be forwarded to law enforcement for further action. But I’m no expert so… at least there’s that.

Thanks for your comment. No, not trolling. I was in a really dark place for most of college and have only come to the light in the past two years.

In high school and the early parts of college, I needed external validation like I needed water, and I felt that joining a fraternity, especially one that encouraged and condoned my kind of drinking and behavior, would provide me with this external support system that I craved. Just as important was my apathy about the world and its rules. I felt at the time that I could do anything as long as I got away with it, and, honestly, I acted that way. I was not a good person from Fall 2018-Spring 2021. I was selfish, seeking bodily pleasures and convenience, and I would use people as a ladder to maximize my social position.

But that isn’t who I am today. I am concerned with right action almost to a zealous degree, and I lead a life that even my previous self, struggling under feelings of worthlessness and apathy, would be proud of.

I know that I’ve made serious mistakes in the past. But they are, genuinely and truthfully, in the past.

1. What can be done to mitigate this concern? I understand passage of time is good but I don’t have any way of proving definitively that I haven’t cheated since Fall 2022, even though I haven’t.
  2. How should I report this on the SF86 (if at all)?
  3. Am I screwed? Especially when combined with my other extensive red flags?
  4. Is a year enough time to mitigate?

If you are dead-set on trying to get a clearance, I wouldn’t even bother asking on here. I’d go straight to a clearance attorney if I were you. It’s probably worth the investment.

Again, I’m not an expert. This is just based on what I’ve observed:

• What can be done to mitigate this concern? I understand passage of time is good but I don’t have any way of proving definitively that I haven’t cheated since Fall 2022, even though I haven’t.
    If you’re a combat vet, that might help. Otherwise, mental health care is probably your best bet here. If you can show that you’re actively getting treatment for your mental health, that might help, a little. Documentation is your friend

• How should I report this on the SF86 (if at all)?
    That’s a great question… for an attorney

• Am I screwed? Especially when combined with my other extensive red flags?
    That’s a great question… for an attorney

• Is a year enough time to mitigate?
    Long-term Academic fraud: Probably not
    Alcohol abuse: Probably
    Drug use: Maybe
    Drug dealing: Probably not
    Arrest history: N/A
    Legal Prostitution: Probably

Thank you for your response. I appreciate the time and effort you spent answering my questions. I am absolutely going to employ a security clearance attorney for my situation. In your opinion, though, should I decline my offer and wait another year to reapply? This would be done to lessen my chances of a denial going on my record.