Selective Service Not Registered

I currently have an applicant with my company that I would like to advise appropriately. My male employee is over 26 and has never registered for the Selective Service. I know this will possibly mean he will not get clearance but that is not ultimately my decision. If he were to apply for clearance and investigators saw that he never registered would he be at risk of legal action? I do not want him to move forward with his application and then he is put in a compromising position.

Is your employee 100% sure he is not registered? As an investigator, I have had multiple male Subjects list on the SF86 that they have not register led with the selective service. When I ask them to please verify with the SSS website via SSS.gov (they will be prompted to enter their personal information) they are pleasantly surprised to learn they have in fact been registered with the selective service. Most likely, their high school did it automatically once they turned 18. You can also Google “verify selective service registration” and the government website will pop up.

1 Like

He should verify with the website that he is not registered. You 100% cannot have a federal job or any kind of public benefits if you have not registered.

Hey this is good stuff! I never registered for selective service because I had already enlisted. AND the sss.gov website says they don’t have records going back as far as my year of birth [DATE REDACTED] so I guess I am “grandfathered.” No pun intended.

1 Like

I never knew what selective service was, neither the US embassy workers (maybe because they were women).
I learned about it when I looked at some SF-86 docs, and I was able to register just in time…

There might be some clauses if he lived overseas. He may not have had to register ? (don’t quote me on that).

So if he falls into a category that is exempt then it will not matter.