I realize in this situation I may be screwed, but could use genuine feedback so I can start to plan out the next steps in my career if this thing doesn’t work out.
So, recently started a job with the contingency on obtaining a full secret clearance in the long run. Already sent in the paperwork, was denied interim, met with my special investigator and now (from what I understand) the next step in the process is adjudication. It’s been roughly a month since the investigator wrapped things up and sent in my case, and I’m assuming that I’m currently on backlog with the other thousands of cases on the docket for the DoD. But as I’m currently “working” (and not able to actually work on my project b/c of lack of interim) I was told it would be a good idea to contact my state senator to expedite the process.
Here’s where I think I’m screwed: I self reported drug use involving MJ (30 times, vast majority of times in years past with only 1 time in the past year in December on a trip to Colorado) Adderall (3 times, once during finals last year) and Shrooms (one time, over a year ago).
I get that this is a lot to mitigate; I tried to mention to the investigator that I was young as stupid (22 y/o now, right out of college) and that I put everything behind me for my professional career, it was stupid to try/do it, never purchased anything and was always in social settings, etc. But I also understand that, to mitigate a lot of these drug related concerns separately it takes 6-12 months at the least, and I’ve barely just passed the 6 month mark for multiple “flags”. Which is why, besides expediting their decision, I wrote to my senators because hopefully it might look good to get a nudge from a political figure behind me during the adjudicators decision.
So am I toast here? I’ve done plenty of research, but the best advice I’ve gotten/gleamed has been “maybe”. I’m on the fence about starting to apply for other jobs again in non-security related fields until maybe more time has passed (obviously not doing/planning on doing drugs for the duration of my career), or should I hang tight and wait for a decision?
Thanks in advance for the advice!