SF-86 Form Clarification

I applied for an internship with the NCIS last year and I had to submit a personal history questionnaire SF 86 form (written and scanned). I was wondering if anyone here could clarify what the routine uses section of their privacy act statement means (in quotes below):

“The information provided in this questionnaire will be analyzed by the NCIS. The information provided by you will become a permanent part of your NCIS record if you are offered and accept an NCIS Internship position, or will be destroyed after one year if an internship position is offered and declined, or if you are not accepted for an internship position with NCIS. The information you provided will not be divulged outside of the Department of Defense without your written consent other than to federal, state, and local law enforcement bodies for their required official use, and to other authorized regulatory agencies.”

I was not accepted for the position but it has been over a year now since I submitted this form. Does this mean that all of this information was destroyed and that I’d have to fill out a new SF-86 form when applying for future positions? Or is the information permanently in a database that can be found by background investigators when I apply for other federal, state or local law enforcement agencies?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Stay safe!

You filled out a SF86 by hand for a potential internship?

Somebody tell NCIS it is 2020 and there is a program called e-QIP in which all SF questionnaires can be submitted electronically.

4 Likes

Believe it or don’t the major client I just left…only started accepting just typed ones in January. Not all 3 letters use equip.

2 Likes

So…what exactly did you put on this form…that…MAY be a concern moving forward?

Yeah I thought that was odd as well.

Past experimental drug use. I realize I should have done more research on the suitability requirements to work in this field before trying to get into it but I’m already more than halfway through my graduate program. There are alternative careers I can get into that are related to my degree but they aren’t my first choice. Oh well, I’ll have to live with my mistakes and accept the reality I’ve created for myself.

To second @Amberbunny2, even some large contractors still use the paper version. I agree it’s a little insane. Filling out the EQip takes long enough… I can’t imagine filling it all out by hand!

1 Like

On other contracts I work aside from DCSA, some of the agencies still use a paper version of the SF86 and it is hands down the biggest headache. By the time it gets to me it looks like it has been photocopied 20 different times before being scanned and in most cases much of the form is borderline unreadable. Definitely drags the interviews out quite a bit

1 Like

Don’t compound your problems by trying to lie to other agencies. Not a good way to go.

Is that not insane? I managed to improve our clearance rates from mid 40% and 60% to 99 plus %. But it involved an easy 12 hours of going over hand written forms. Slows process for sure. And the new form? Lawd…

So woob…common issue. Fright, fear, not quite realizing impact of decisions…all impacts how folks fill out the form. The lack of candor is far more weighted than actual recreational use during college. Depending on scope of what you previously listed compared to actual…that is where the issue remains. Claiming 4 times, reality is 6? Not an issue if estimating. Saying zero use, reality is a couple dozen? Or several classes of drugs…bigger issue.

Does this mean that all of this information was destroyed and that I’d have to fill out a new SF-86 form when applying for future positions?

Yes and yes

Or is the information permanently in a database that can be found by background investigators when I apply for other federal, state or local law enforcement agencies?

While the info should have been destroyed as they said it would be I have seen cases where the information is still there for review.

1 Like