SF86 - Question

Hello,

I am doing my SF86 for a govt. agency that requires a FS Poly (oh no). Naturally, I am a very flawed person but want to be as honest as possible (obviously) - perhaps I am going overboard (again FS Poly - nervous)

The question on the SF86 I am confused about:

Have you EVER illegally used or otherwise been illegally involved with a drug or controlled substance while possessing a security clearance other than previously listed?

Synopsis:
I joined the Army Reserve in 2008 as MI, had a TS/SCI.
2009 or early 2010 - I go to college, at some ROTC party, I was handed marijuana, I held it, was in possession of it, walked off and then tossed it out, and left the party. (I did not ingest, inhale, or use it, believe it or not insert choir music)

Soooo, should I put yes for that part of the SF86? Because in my last BI in approx: 2014, I am almost certain I answered the same question as “no” - so now I am worried I may come off as lying on my previous SF 86.

I ETS’d in 2017 - TS/SCI inactive.

I may be overthinking this, since I have been working in law enforcement i am looking at it as “well technically I was in possession of it”. I don’t want to hit negatively on the poly because I know this will be a major focus of worry.

Any insight would be appreciated. Sorry if this comes off as petty.

“possession” on the form refers to the security clearance, not the drug. You did not use, and I wouldn’t interpret this as being “involved”. Others will chime in, I’m sure, but I would respond “no” and then talk about it with the investigator.

2 Likes

Understood, I mean I just wanted to be as transparent as possible. I was going to mention it either way.

My bigger concern was saying no in 2014 and not mentioning the incident at all. Call it ignorance or complacency.

What I suggest is answer no to the question because that is the correct answer to the question. Then on the question at, or towards the end, that asks if there is anything else they should know, explain what happened in the case where you held the joint.

I only recommend this because of the poly. I think the fact that you are worried about this could cause a reaction on the poly when asked the same same question about drugs and your reaction might be “read” as a lie.

Thank you for your response, that is how I was thinking of it as well. Unfortunately, due to the deadline I already put no, did not mention it in the optional comments, and submitted my SF86. I was thinking when I meet with the BI or Polygrapher, I’d explain it then.

Hopefully that works!

Writing a comment that clearly suggests you should have answered yes to a question? Bad advice.