Statement in CBP Polygraph

About 2 years ago while i had security clearance secret given by the army, I went to take the CBP polygraph and in the drug questions area, i notified that i had used steroids, 4 to 5 years ago. The person who was giving the polygraph asked me why I had not put it in the entry questions or the SF 86, I answered him that I had obtained them in a pharmacy without PX in a territory outside the United States. The person who was giving the polygraph made me make a type of statement so that the adjudicator would take me into consideration. After a month I receive an email that said:

“Polygraph results are valid for up to two years and may be applied to future selections.

If you decide to reapply for a position with CBP, the information found in your polygraph examination may be used by the Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR) for two years. ”

Do the adjudicators issue a report to SF 86 OPM denying the security clearance despite the fact that nk only got to investigate polygraph?

What kind of problems can I have when renewing my current security clearance?

What about the statement that I filled out?

Thank for the helps

I assume that you mean “without an Rx” . . .

Were you in the Army and did you have a clearance at the time that you purchased and used the steroids? If so, you may have a problem. CBP is pretty sensitive about ANY drug use. Likely because of their enforcement responsibility. I believe that, as cleared personnel, you are responsible for adhering to more than local laws when overseas.

1 Like

Yes Without RX! Over the counter

That statement you typed out for the CBP polygraph operator is your signed confession that you lied on the polygraph. It is a permanent record that will follow you for the rest of your professional life.

Where does he say that he lied on the poly? He omitted the steroid use from his SF86. The fact that he was out of the country and bought them over the counter CAN be a mitigating factor. As I have said many times, people make errors on these forms all of the time and the government isn’t looking for perfection.

Thank you, Ed. JosephP did not explicitly say here that he lied on the polygraph. I jumped the gun by assuming that this was a post-test admission. If the admission to having used steroids without a prescription was made during the pre-test phase, then this statement is not a confession to having lied on the polygraph, and the adverse effects for future clearance eligibility will be greatly reduced.

After the polygraph, the operator told me that he felt that there was something i was hiding, I told him that i was not hiding anything. The only thing that 4 or 5 years ago I made use of steroids in a place where it was obtained legally, for my performance, to what I understood that the drug question would refer if i had made any use of some of the substances that described within of 3 years.

He tells me that he wanted to help me or probably I think he wanted to deceive me, that he needed to clarify everything about steroid use. As I had nothing to hide, I agreed to sign that document.

2 years after the polygraph, I requested a copy of the investigations and standard forms, under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).

In the form, the SF86 forms are broken down and the only, one that appears is the investigation that the army made for the security clearance.

and upon receiving the email that I did not pass the polygraph, my question is: do CBP keep a permanent record internal or external, and other agencies have access to the document? Or they only keep it in record for two years?

Your CBP applicant file, including the polygraph, is a permanent record that will be shared with other federal agencies.