Subject interview investigators' email domain: still @opm.org?

I know in the past the investigators for subject interviews (DoD contractors) are from OPM (email: @opm.org). After everything moved to DCSA, where are the investigators for subject interviews from? I just want to make sure that I am paying enough attention to subject interview request emails since I usually get lots of junk emails in my mailbox. Are they still from OPM (@opm.org)?

Not likely. It would be from DCSA, CACI, Peraton, or Paragon.

1 Like

When I worked for Perspecta my emails came from Perspecta.com and now that I work for CACI the email comes from CACI.com. Many of the investigators are contract investigators and the email comes from the company they are contracted through.

Just FYSA, OPM e-mail addresses would be opm.gov, not .org. Any “investigator” trying to contact you from opm[.]org is probably a scammer

To make this many posts about a secret clearance that does not require a subject interview unless there is an issue really has me curious as to what you have done. You seem to have very high anxiety about this and have came across a little desperate on multiple threads. Do you think you are the first person ever whose manager may have not remembered them? Or no one in the history of time has had an important email go to the junk file? There are reasons your SF86 asked you for a phone number (multiple if you happen to have them) and email. “IF” an investigator is trying to reached you, they will call you, text you, email you, show up at your house, your job, search you on the internet, they will find you. Calm down. “IF” more information is needed about a former job, that’s why the government has investigators. They will come ask you what they need to know. Take a super big chill pill and calm down before you have a panic attack. This is not a quick process, give it time.

1 Like

Emails like this could go to my junk mail box very easily. Thus, if the investigator only email me the request for a subject interview, the request can be missed very easily.

Just to make sure, in any situations, such an email is impossible to come from FBI, right?

1 Like

Are you applying for the FBI/DOJ or White House positions? If not, highly unlikely. Are you getting unsolicited e-mails claiming to be from the feds: you should read this, if you are concerned about e-mails: How to Recognize and Avoid Phishing Scams | Consumer Advice (ftc.gov)

I believe your question has been answered VERY clearly by multiple people.

Yes. Thank you.

I got a junk email claiming to represent FBI. Since it went to my junk mailbox, I deleted it immediately after quickly browsing its content. At present, I am pretty sure it is a junk email unrelated to my security clearance.

A federal employee of Dcsa would have an email address that ends in mail.mil.

Different contractors would have emails that end in their company name, for example Peraton.com

OPM has not done the security clearance for many many years now

1 Like

There is (or was) a phone number you can call to verify the legitimacy of an investigator claim. I believe you need to know the investigators name and badge number. Not sure if COVID ended that service.

As well, discuss any concerns you may have with your SMO/FSO or security office rep.

Agent’s/Investigator’s identity or status should be directed to DCSA Security:

dcsa.boyers.bi.mbx.investigator-verifications@mail.mil

Investigator Verification Hotline at 724-794-7186

Your calls and emails will be answered between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday-Friday. At all other times you can leave a message, which will be answered on the next business day.

1 Like

Still available, google “how do i verify a DCSA investigator” and you will get the current phone number and email… which ends in mail.mil.

1 Like

OPM was still in charge of background checks into just a few years ago, not many many. The switch to DCSA from OPM. The transfer of employees was 9/29/19. That’s directly from the DCSA site.

You’re arguing over semantics. In the BI world, 3.5 years is absolutely ages ago.

2 Likes

Arguing? Whatever you want to call it. Noodles days “years and years” which infers that it has been a long time, but 3.5 years isn’t even one reinvestigation cycle. Heck, anything on that BI is still within the coverage period if you’re getting a new investigation now, except P for educ.

Hello,

I completed an interview for a public trust investigation on 03/15/2024. This is for a DeVops position with CACI. It’s has been 7 months altogether since the background check was initiated. Should I call the investigator ?

No. Your investigator is done with your case and has no clue what’s going on.

1 Like

Please do not contact your investigator. If they need anything additional from you, they will reach out to you. Your point of contact should be your FSO, or recruiter, not your investigator. Even then, be judicious in the frequency/timing of your contact.