Suitability vs Secret Clearance which is easier to obtain with Red Flags?

Hi. I have applied for a couple positions.

1. Excepted Service - Finger Prints/Drug Test required.

2. Competitive - Moderate Risk/Suitability

3. Competitive - Secret Clearance

Potential red flags:

1. Arrested Felony DV 8 years ago.

Dating a guy who hit me at a hotel. Police were called. After talking with Detective she let me go and told me to RUN that the guy had several previous DVs against other women. I had no case and I assume no charge. Not sure if an arrest is an automatic charge. (There is no disposition listed on my background check I was told that was because there was no case. So, I requested arrest records in case the issue comes up).

1. Lost my business due to Covid shutdown and filed Chapter 7 Bankruptcy.

However currently no past due debts or collections and or late payments.

Based on your experience will my red flags make it a challenge to obtain federal employment. Also, will it be more of a challenge for me to pass suitability versus a clearance.

You are fine. Report the arrest and just explain it. I assume there was an arrest since you used that word in your story but your story also reads like you may have just been questioned and/or detained and then let go without any fingerprinting, mugshot, handcuffs, or any police record of the event. If the latter is the case, do not report it because no record means the investigators will not find out about it.

Nobody is perfect. People have TS/SCI clearances with worse records. I assume you are a woman from the first point your made and the US sympathizes with women no thanks to feminism. An abusive boyfriend or “date” always works in the woman’s favor . . . without the man’s side of the story.

Thank you! I was arrested, fingerprinted and handcuffed. Then a couple hours later talked to a detective. At that time I was let go.

Since I have decided to apply for government jobs I decided to call and get proof of that incident. After many calls I was told there was no record of the arrest and obviously no disposition could be provided.

So I basically requested arrest records which say ‘no results’. The arrest does show on my background but the Sheriff office has no record. Eventually, I request to have it sealed. But figure no rush, because Government jobs will see it anyway.