TS/SCI Clearance PR Just initiated, Arrested for DUI

Hello,

I am a contractor working overseas in Germany with a TS/SCI. I hold a USAREUR driver’s license and I am under SOFA status here. I have held a TS/SCI since 2004 and I have been through a PR (periodic reinvestigation) once before. I have just submitted my eQIP paperwork for my next PR in May 2014. An investigator will probably be here to interview me within 4-6 weeks.

A few nights ago I was pulled over by the Polizei (German Police) at a checkpoint. I took a breathalyzer while in my car and back at the Polizei station. I believe I blew a .038 in the car, which is below the legal limit in the US, but not in Germany. I have never been in trouble with the law before.

I have two questions:

1. Who should I report the arrest to? My company’s FSO? My direct boss?

2. If I am convicted does this get applied to my US state-side driving record (VA)?

3. What is the likelihood that I lose my security clearance?

Thank you,

Steve

Report the arrest to your security officer. When you sit down with the investigator for the interview, bring up the arrest at the beginning of the interview. They will want to know all the details. Advise them that it occurred after you submitted your sf-86, which is why you didn’t list it. Lots of people who have DUI convictions hold clearances. I have no idea whether or not this will get reported to your US driving record.

Because you have SCI access you might want to ensure your FSO also contacts the SSO who was responsible for processing your SCI application. DUi convictions overseas are not passed on to any authorities in the U.S. unless there are other criminal behaviors that caused a deportation or warrant for your arrest.

Thank you both! One more question if it’s not too much trouble, am I obligated to tell my manager or just by simply informing the SSO will my manager will be notified?

Thanks in advance…

I don’t know the answer to that. It may be an employer policy (and maybe not a bad idea to get your supervisor in the know). That may be a better question for your FSO/ SSO.