Unique Termination effects on Secret Clearance

Hello,

I have been offered an overseas position with a contracting firm that requires me to obtain a secret-level clearance. I was given a probationary dismissal (termination) last year from my Law Enforcement career, where I was a sworn Deputy. To make a long story short, I was interviewed as a witness during a professional standards IA investigation on my Sergeant. The events I was being asked about were approximately 2 months prior to me being called as a witness. During this interview, statements I made were unintentionally inaccurate, and I was accused of untruthfulness.

I explained that I had no reason to be untruthful, as I was not the subject of the initial investigation, and that it was an honest mistake due to the time lapse, and a poor recollection of the events. However, due to my probationary status (first entire year out of training), I was not given appeal rights, or the ability to fully defend myself, and I was dismissed. The situation in question was administrative in nature, nothing criminal.

I had no other disciplinary actions in my time there, and not other history of workplace misconduct. This situation truly was just a big misunderstanding. I even offered to submit to a polygraph test to help clear my name. Also, for what its worth, the agency that governs police certifications in my state elected not to take any disciplinary action against my certification.

Can anyone advise of how detrimental this situation will be in regards to be granted a secret clearance? I can provide in-depth details, if needed. I appreciate any insight or advice.

The situation standing alone would not prevent you from obtaining a clearance as long as you disclose all required information about it and no similar history is present. Just be up front about the circumstances of your termination.

That is good to hear, thank you. I have a good friend who used to do adjudications for clearances, and he advised the same thing. He told me about the "whole person’ concept, and explained that the person(s) in charge of my file will be able to see that the situation is very uncharacteristic for me, since I have no other history of discipline, a clean criminal record, law enforcement experience, good credit, good references, performed well in college, etc…, and that they would likely have no issues taking my word that it was just a big misunderstanding. He also advised me to do some independent research on the subject, to help relieve my stress about it, which is why I’m here.

In your experience, does the above statement accurately reflect the process?

Yes, that is accurate!

Hi, I have a questions regarding the investigation part.
I recently accepted a Background Investigator position
and was told I would need a security clearance. I thinks its
just confidential level but im not sure. For this level,
how far back will they investigate? and what avenues
do they use to do their investigation? do they have access
to looking into like text messages, emails, internet history or
like access to my icloud? or laptop or phone hard drive? Social media?
I also recently passed a level 2 background check, is it similar? do they have access
to medical information or history?

@Marko Can you please answer the above question

Hey, Florida76, you may want to make a new thread or topic for this. Since your question is under my thread, people on this site are only seeing my post title, and not your question. I would make a new thread for your inquiry, so that everyone can see what you are asking on the topics board.

Background investigators are investigated at the Tier 5 level with the theory being that they should be screened at the same level as they are investigating for. They do not usually get ab actual clearance, but are eligible for one if needed. If you are going to be a BI you should probably do some research about what investigations entail.