Unsuitable for the Permanent Full-Time position

I took a job one year ago with a DHS agency. I was required to do a tier 5 investigation, and granted an interim secret, but then found unsuitable.

Reasons are dishonest conduct-falsification, misconduct or negligence during employment, and illegal drug use.

The first and second are because I filled out my application and eqip incorrectly. I had genuinely forgotten dates, and whether I worked directly for a company, or as a contractor. I had also been let go/terminated from a few employers due to tardiness and excessive time off due to a documented schedule A disease.

Illegal drug use is CBD services from hemp via an actual medical diagnosis and prescription.

I had letters from all companies in regards to terminations that where false, as well as medical statements from my doctor’s. I also sent in the exact dates and all names of employers for 10+ years.

I was still found unsuitable, and I am now on a 10 day admin leave awaiting a decision. I am an excepted service schedule A hire, and am just shy of a full year at my current GS position.

What will happen next, and what are the chances of being able to clear this up?

You need a clearance attorney, pronto (as in, “before the admin leave expires”).

I have one from my adjudication and they said due to no appeal granted they can’t do anything

Sorry to hear about your situation but thank you for posting the details here. There have been a few questions lately about starting a job, including federal civilian positions, with an interim or other provisional status.

I don’t think there’s much chance of clearing this up in the short term, but try to find out how this will impact future applications for jobs requiring a clearance, and if there is a specific waiting period before you can try again… most likely a year.

1 Like

My last day is officially tomorrow. It sucks about the clearance, but most of the jobs in what I do, do not require a clearance. I specialize in Emergency management, and this position happened to require it. The comical part is multiple 10+ year employees in the same position have actually never once seen anything that required the clearance.

1 Like

Interesting, there’s another thread where someone apparently has an “active” clearance but has never handled classified material in many years of working at that agency.

1 Like

Sad but true. In my last position everything was TS. Every email even. Moved to DoD as Fed Civ, no longer poly sci cleared but still TS. Have not seen even secret docs. Not once in 3.5 years.

Ok, so another update.

I spoke to a branch chief at the HQ office from HSCO, and I was told that I am actually able to still work for the agency if a position opens up. I was specifically told that if I filled out my SF86 with all correct information, and disclosed all information, she did not see any reason a clearance wouldn’t be granted.

Am I missing something? If this is the case, couldn’t I just be rehired under special hiring authority as a Schedule A for the same position?

I am in the same boat, After waiting for more than a year, the DHS, OSI rescinded the tentative job offer due to alleged misconduct or negligence during my previous employment. I was also denied the right to appeal this decision, and the attorney who specializes in background investigations was unable to help. The Office of Special Investigations (OSI) rejected letters of positive reference from two of my former employers, even though they were within the 7-year investigation window. Unfortunately, federal agencies have almost complete power when it comes to determining suitability for federal employment. I understand your situation and share your feelings of frustration and disappointment.

Are you being considered for such a position through internal selection? Maybe you will need to wait for a vacancy announcement on USAJobs and have to apply all over again?

Thanks for the update

Another division within the same agency wants to hire me for a completely different skill set.

1 Like

It does not look good unless a lawyer specializing in background investigations finds an interim relief.