Upgrading TS/SCI to poly

What’s the “upgrade” process like? Will my clearance investigation be re-opened, or will this be just a small adjustment to what I already have?
If i fail the poly can they revoke my TS/SCI?

Possibly… depending on how old your investigation is

If you consider taking a polygraph exam a “small adjustment” :slight_smile:

Definitely, depending on what happens. Now, I have heard of people taking a polygraph, never hearing anything about the results, and then some time later they get put in for some additional access or new program and it is only THEN that they find out that there were issues with the polygraph exam!

All part of our wonderful industry… and not showing any signs of letting up, either.

2 Likes

I just received it. This would be a job change that requires TS/SCI with full scope poly. I currently have TS/SCI.

Yes you can can be denied the upgrade and suffer a revocation adding insult to injury. The adjudicative standard is the same, but the sensitivity of information is much higher. Therefore risk.

1 Like

What is this process like? What do they consider a “failed” polygraph? Number of inconclusives or conflicting results? Is it common (so to speak) for this to happen on an upgrade or would you say most applications go from uncleared to TS/SCI/FS Poly and thus are easier to reject?

This very thing happened to me. Had active TS-SCI and had to take a full scope. Failed poly, clearance was revoked. I fought the decision for over a year, got my clearance fully reinstated through DoD CAF, but my clearance still shows up denied in SC for that particular IC agency.

If the same thing happens to you, then hire an attorney and don’t stop fighting it.

1 Like

Well was the TS/SCI dependent on your poly. Working for the IC usually means even a TS is tied to a poly and failing the poly is a goodbye clearance. But I’ve seen outside like in DoD, if you take the SCI tack-on and fail it, your TS is usually still safe because DoD doesn’t tie your TS to a poly, only the SCI.

What if your Secret was adjudicated by DoD CAF (SSBI closed 11/2016), and your clearance upgrade to TS is through an IC Agency? Poly completed 9 months ago. Anyone knows if they do their own BI? or use that of OPM’s?

Hard to say. More agencies share info these days. Some of the IC agencies are DoD and therefore more likely to enter an “incident” into JPAS or DISS or whatever it is called (I think it is DISS now but Im not sure). That “incident” can cause a lot of problems.

Search on these forums for “incident report” to get some idea.

And just because you haven’t heard anything doesnt mean something bad has happened. This stuff takes for freakin’ ever.

2 Likes

I’m just wondering if they’re going to start from zero because the clearance was from a different agency. The agency i’m processing with is in north VA. I don’t have an incident report. Just a clearance upgrade.

1 Like