Will Probation disqualify me?

Good afternoon everyone,
I used to be in the military with a secret clearance and got out with an honorable discharge and my clearance lapsed. Well a few years later (2016) I was arrested and charged with a class 1 misdemeanor: brandishing a firearm, which is a criminal offense. This was a first time offence with a clean record, so I was advised to plead not guilty which I did. The judge gave me probation before judgment for 1 year and I went that year without getting into trouble and the charges were dismissed. My question is, with this knowledge would I be disqualified for a secret clearance or should I really not worry about it? I haven’t been in any trouble since then and when filling out paper work I have to check yes for arrested, yes for charged, no for convicted, and yes for probation. Lastly, is there anything I can do to better my chances of getting my clearance such as letters of recommendation or anything? Thanks everyone!

Lilac,
Yes since then, I’ve finished a degree, bought a house, had a baby, got married. I was just worried that even though I pled not guilty and the charges were dismissed, that the fact I was on probation and the severity of the charge would outweigh the pros.

Getting married and having a baby is treated as a positive life change?

Interesting…

1 Like