Adjudication Timeline

Job-hopping is becoming the new norms, especially in the realm of security clearance. So, it isn’t going to hurt you down the road. Background investigators are aware of that, and they are pretty good about that. If you are a good worker, don’t sweat it too much.

1 Like

Definitely.

Whereas the old conventional wisdom was, you don’t want to change jobs after less than two years at the absolute minimum, now it seems that you don’t want to stay at one place more than two years at the max.

Question. Can explain to me the exact of adjucation? Like who exactly does it? And if a contractor is sponsoring your clearance, do they do it or the opm or whatever agency is investigating you?

Not sure I can explain the exact but I can give you the sort of:

Somebody does an investigation on you. They are simply collecting the facts about your background. Once that investigation is complete, it gets sent to an adjudicator who evaluates all the information in your file to see if you meet the standards for access to classified information. OPM does not do adjudication, just investigation (although I’m not sure if that is true for folks being hired by OPM to do background investigations).

If you are in process for a Dept of Defense clearance, your case will go to the DoD Central Adjudication Facility (DODCAF). Some Intel Community (IC) agencies do their own adjudication, but if you are a contractor being hired to work on a contract for a DoD IC agency, it might go to DODCAF.

Do a web search for DoD CAF, their website has some information as well.

And that is the “sort of” exact of adjucation.

1 Like

First thing: thank you for the explaintion. That was very helpful.
Second thing: it seems auto correct and not proofreading my post led to that horrendous sentence structure.

I have sent some nearly unintelligible texts thanks to auto correct :smiley:

This is the reason I am a strong advocator towards reaching out to our elected officials.

Is it standard to have a spouse fill out an sf86 too?

My husband is a foreign citizen and no one has mentioned this to me :anguished:

Yes. I had to do the same. However, she was never interviewed.

Yes, this was a first clearance. I’ve been on the job since July of '17, just found out today I am going to have to upgrade to a Q Clearance so let the stress begin all over again. At least this time I am working while waiting.

Hello Marko. I filled out an eQuip SF85 in 3/2016 I disclosed drug use (marijuana) in College (arrest in 2010, treatment in 2013, graduated in 5/2014) (but none since 3/2015). In 2017, I was contacted by a background investigator who wanted an authorization signed to obtain my treatment records, which I did (treatment was brief and positive in my favor). I was contacted (email) by an adjudicator on 3/29/18 who indicated that I am on step 4, the adjudication process of the background check. She asked further questions on clarification of information I provided on the SF85, including an informal charge that I forgot to mention that came up in the background investigation (in college my friends left paraphernalia in my room while I was away to which I was blamed and accepted school mandated community service but it was not handled by the police, only handled by the school). I admitted that charge and explained it to her and sent back the questionnaire which was due by 4/2/18 (I sent the response back on 3/30/18). Should I be concerned that my suitability ruling will be unfavorable? Likewise, how much longer from 4/2/18 do you think this process will continue? Part of me feels like I’m fine because this is going over the course of years now but another part of me is nervous that I will be denied. Do you think the adjudicator will ask/obtain more info from me/my contacts? Will I be drug tested and/or polygraphed? I have no other issues other than a traffic ticket in 2014 which was promptly handled. Please help me put my mind at ease. Thanks! Colin

I am assuming that you filled out an SF-85P Questionnaire for Public Trust positions since the SF85 by itself does not ask for drug use beyond a year nor does it ask about criminal charges. Based on what you have stated here, it is likely that the drug use and lack of candor will be mitigated since the adjudicator chose to contact you informally rather then issue a letter of interrogatory based on an initial unfavorable determination.

Fullcast - Did you ever hear anything? Not hearing anything after being in adjudication for that long is pretty crazy. What branch of government?

Nope. Been a full year since I’ve heard anything after being in adjudication. Two years since CoE.

Man that’s rough. Which branch of government is your clearance for?

I’ve been in adjucation for 16 months I think, but on the bright side my delinquencies have been paid off since starting this (longggggg) process

Justwaitingforever23 - How do you know you have been in adjudication for 16 months? One of your investigators could have finished his portion but you could have another investigator looking at stuff in another region in the country you may have lived or worked. So how do you know for sure that you are in adjudication?

Well my POC told me that I was in the adjucation and that the BI was submitted

Well, an update: within the last month to month and a half or so I’ve been contacted my two investigators about additional contact info for friends/coworkers. A friend of mine was also recently contacted by an investigator. So looks like I’m still in the investigation phase?! Since I submitted my SF-86 in mid 2016 for a TS/SCI and I had my face-to-face interview in December 2017, I’m guessing this is going to go on for a while. Any thoughts??

I’ve been radio silence for so long then even changed my CJO a couple months ago and switched the hiring details, I thought this is it any time now, but nay let the wait continue! It’s better than just starting the process and asking how long, those poor souls have no idea.