Amberbunny Returns

Hey all! Miss me? New contract,New company, New email…forgot logon…must have been secure.

Anywho, back in the saddle, looking forward to trying to help in a positive manner. New name is Amberbunny2. Best I could do under the circumstances.

10 Likes

Hey amber good to see you around again. I’ll be the first to annoy. Any advice for speeding up a SC to JPAS transfer if your company’s advice is to just sit and wait despite it being 4 months already.

1 Like

Welcome back Amberbunny! Quick question? I was hired as a contractor to work as an intel analyst for the NGA 3 weeks ago. Coming over from the DIA I was inquiring about how long the TS/SCI with a CI poly clearance crossover process should take on average? They’re both DoD so I don’t see a major holdup.

1 Like

Okay,

1. the pathway from SC to JPASS is much slower than the other way. The desiring company creates a record, requests transferability from DODCAF, they in turn verify SC, and pass sponsorship to desiring company. In theory it sure sounds simple. In practice…very slow, and I hear 60 to 90 days norm even a year. Defeats the intent in reciprocity.
  2. If it is considered an Operational job, it moves faster. Much faster. If it is a support function…it is slow. But if JPASS to JPASS it should be far easier than crossing over from SC.
  3. Both DoD should move fast as above unless your out of scope, driving a request for a new SF86…the long form SF86 130 plus pages.

I called the SC help desk and they said JPAS populates SC and not the other way around. Does that mean you show up in JPAS when you’re SC but for DoD to take ownership they need to verify through SC? Is this because your info is “blacked out” on JPAS or something to protect the castles?

Hello! From another post:
I’ve seen your posts that if there is unadjudicated information, the process is to submit as initial and then do a crossover. I tried to crossover from MD to VA and got the unadjudicated information feedback. My company is now submitting me as an initial and that is now in progress.

My question now is, can they try to do a crossover so that I won’t have to wait?

1 Like

Hey Amber, good to see you again.

Would you (or anyone) be able to explain operational vs. support?

1 Like

If you are in direct Intel role, or a gun toter…likely Operational. If you are in say…housekeeping at a cleared facility or maintenance…you are likely a support role.
DalCal: If the desiring unit establishes a JPASS record and requests transferabilty, it goes to DODCAF. They review SC and can cross it over. No rhyme or reason to length of time. I work with another Security Manager who does this all the time. DoD mostly does not access SC. Limited folks in DoD access SC. SC reflects most JPASS clearances. JPASS does not list SC only clearances.
DH3: Unadjudicated info just means something an adjudicator has to weigh and make a judgement on. It is by no means auto negative. Some agencies have a fast track where they conduct what I call the “no-no-no” check. If there isn’t any negative info listed, they cross over and then send to their re-investigation department. The person crosses over and starts work while the re-investigation runs in the background.

2 Likes

Hi Amberbunny! Lots of folks seem to be stuck in adjudication limbo for years for operational positions. How out of the normal is that? Is there a standard turnaround time for most applicants post poly/psych assuming the BI happened first?

Cool. The only thing is that my clearence shows in both JPAS and SC. I figured it wouldn’t take awhile to crossover. I was hired for an intel analyst position. Also I’ve been hearing that NGA does their own adjudication for their SCI access. Does that play into the delay as well?

Many variables for getting through adjudication. Complexity of the case, is it for an operational slot or a maintenance tech, etc. Add in enormous backlog and multiple levels of review…I’m seeing a lot go past 6 and 7 months

How do simultaneous background investigations work with different three letter agencies? It seems like they do the polys and investigations at different points in the process, but does one investigation hold up the other until a final decision has been made? Or do they just wait for the actual investigation to close?

Interesting question and I have personal experience trying to upgrade a cleared employee, his SF86 was moving forward, BI started…another agency cleared him much faster for a better job. So I do know they can run simultaneously. But I think it depends on who is conducting it. Certain agencies conduct all their own and would not run 2 simultaneously. But if one was more JPASS only…it could run and none be the wiser it is happening. That said, in this instance I lost the employee as the other agency cleared faster.

2 Likes

Welcome back, I was looking for you! I read the below string and you answered many of my thoughts, So really there is no such thing as just transferring your clearance from SC to JPAS, right?
Govie to Contractor even if your clearance is still valid they will still adjudicate you and make you go through this process all over again? I just get this feeling that the FSO at my new contractor company is not following up.

1 Like

Oh no you can cross back over, but it requires work on the gaining JPASS FSO. They create the record, they contact DODCAF, they request transferability…Many are completely unaware there is an SC or any other repository. I’ve even debated with a few FSO’s here explaining there are several repositories. So many FSO’s just aren’t savvy to it. But even a simple Google search can help there.

Hi Amber, Welcome back. I posted this as a new topic, but then saw your post of being back.
So if you have a DoD Secret with CI Poly, what does that mean? Would it help and put you in a ‘fast track’ for lack of a better word, towards TS? My questions may not make sense, but if anyone who has knowledge could make it clear what is/are the step(s) to go from DoD Secret to TS?
I do know that the manager/director/boss/supervisor provide security( FSO) justification for the upgrade AND the position would have to require TS. I do know this part, but what I don’t know is once you are put for a TS upgrade what else do you need to do?
I do have a T5 BI, a current final Secret and a current CI Poly, all done in the past 3-9 months.
Thank you,

Going have to submit another sf-86 since you are getting an upgrade on your clearance

As you pretty much stated, the position drives the clearance requirement. So if your boss has a seat requiring a TS and wants you to fill it, they put you in for the higher clearance. Many do not understand the clearance requirement rains with the seat, not the person. Once cleared for the seat, the person retains eligibility until the BI is no longer in scope. So in your case the boss wants you for the TS seat and work, they have the FSO submit a new clearance form (SF86). If this is the same agency conducting the deeper dive many parts of the previous BI can be used. In a sense they " review the file." I can honestly say it doesn’t seem to speed it up at all for my client but serving a support contract vice operational positions can impact that. Meaning if there is a high need to get an operator cleared it happens much faster.

1 Like

Thanks very much for the insight and detailed info.
Never went for TS before, don’t know a rough time-line, have had others go through it and it took them 1-2 years, but also saw TS come in 6 months for colleague who had secret.
Does having a current (2018/19) T5 help or should I just wait, relax, get a job, have kids and don’t worry about it. :smile:

1 Like

And I am sorry Amber, but I forgot one key info.
So when the company submitted my SF-86, it was initially for a TS, and after almost 17 months, and a T5, when I got my final, it was a Secret, not TS. Since the company has positions for TS and secret, no issues there.