Are You Experiencing Security Clearance Processing Delays?

I have a TS/SCI, sent in my SF86 90 days ago, just heard it was approved for my upcoming contract job.

Now they’re waiting for SAP crossover.

What’s the ballpark wait time for a clearance crossover for a non-initial TS clearance?

1 Like

Hello Sir,
I’m still waiting for my Security Clearance to go through, 7months now and no telling when I should receive it! Recently, I have been offered another position requiring a Public Trust Clearance, is it OK. to accept the offer while waiting for my Secret Clearance to process?! In other words, will it be OK. for both Public Trust and Secret Clearance to be processing at the same time?! Thanks.

You could ask your FSO. They can tell you your status.

My background investigation has been in process for almost a year and nine months. I met with my investigator sometime in December of 2015, two months after submitting my SF86 Form but then it went silent. Position is for Gov direct hire. I am concerned because I still haven’t been contacted for my poly. Every time I contact my recruiter to ask for updates, I am told I am active in the “suitability process” and overall processing is between 3-36 months. Is it typical to wait that long between the subject interview and poly?

Yow. Well, at least they’re honest.

So within the past week my investigator has met with 5 people, Including my parents! I fudged up some employment history stuff not to my knowledge though (my parents company). So it seems like this is going super fast now… Anyone have an idea how long? I know in a previous post someone said 6 months after the interview but it seems to be developing rapidly.

How long has it been for you again? I am at 181 days. I think you were over 325 or something like that. I guess you are like me and count everyday!

Yeah 328 or 9 now. But now 2 more contacts have been reached out to or met with since I posted today lol… This investigator seems to have a mission to get mine done soon so its reassuring.

Are you former military? I am guessing by your screen name. Apparently under the 10 USC 1564.

(a) Expedited Process.—The Secretary of Defense may prescribe a process for expediting the completion of the background investigations necessary for granting security clearances for—
(1) Department of Defense personnel and Department of Defense contractor personnel who are engaged in sensitive duties that are critical to the national security; and

(2) any individual who—
(A) submits an application for a position as an employee of the Department of Defense for which—
(i) the individual is qualified; and

(ii) a security clearance is required; and

(B) is—
(i) a member of the armed forces who was retired or separated, or is expected to be retired or separated, for physical disability pursuant to chapter 61 of this title;

(ii) the spouse of a member of the armed forces who retires or is separated, after January 7, 2011, for a physical disability as a result of a wound, injuries or illness incurred or aggravated in the line of duty (as determined by the Secretary concerned); or

(iii) the spouse of a member of the armed forces who dies, after January 7, 2011, as a result of a wound, injury, or illness incurred or aggravated in the line of duty (as determined by the Secretary concerned).

(b) Required Features.—The process developed under subsection (a) shall provide for the following:
(1) Quantification of the requirements for background investigations necessary for grants of security clearances for Department of Defense personnel and Department of Defense contractor personnel.

(2) Categorization of personnel on the basis of the degree of sensitivity of their duties and the extent to which those duties are critical to the national security.

(3) Prioritization of the processing of background investigations on the basis of the categories of personnel determined under paragraph (2).

© Annual Review.—
The Secretary shall conduct an annual review of the process prescribed under subsection (a) and shall revise that process as determined necessary in relation to ongoing Department of Defense missions.

(d) Consultation Requirement.—
The Secretary shall consult with the Secretaries of the military departments and the heads of Defense Agencies in carrying out this section.

(e) Sensitive Duties.—
For the purposes of this section, it is not necessary for the performance of duties to involve classified activities or classified matters in order for the duties to be considered sensitive and critical to the national security.

(f) Use of Appropriated Funds.—
The Secretary of Defense may use funds authorized to be appropriated to the Department of Defense for operation and maintenance to conduct background investigations under this section for individuals described in subsection (a)(2).

(Added Pub. L. 106–398, § 1 [[div. A], title X, § 1072(a)], Oct. 30, 2000, 114 Stat. 1654, 1654A–276; amended Pub. L. 111–383, div. A, title III, § 351(a), Jan. 7, 2011, 124 Stat. 4192; Pub. L. 112–239, div. A, title X, § 1076(e)(1), Jan. 2, 2013, 126 Stat. 1951.)

LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.

Courtesy of Cornell University (I make sure I always site my source).

Apparently, this was sign into law at the last part of August 2017. I am hoping this will help me out since I am former military.

I am not but thank you for your service, I greatly appreciate it. I hope this can be an avenue for you to get your clearance to start working.

Actually it is only a secret… I called the number, hit 7000 and nothing happens

1 Like

I had my subject interview over two weeks ago for a Secret clearance. No one else contacted yet. Any ideas on how long this may take now?

724.794.5612 should be the number. I guess you can talk to an operator and see if she can direct your call.

1 Like

Seriously. I am coming up on 28 months of waiting. At each stage of the process, I was given pretty wrong information. My documentation or PoC would tell me “this stage usually takes X - Y months.” In my case each stage took about twice as long as the upper bound of that range. A horrendously long clearance process sucks, but being given misleading information about it definitely makes it worse.

Hello guys,

I am new to this blog.
My timeline

Investigation was opened 8/30/2016 secret.
Interim declined 11/18/2016
Didn’t hear anything till my interview with background investigator on 6/22/2017.

I was told by the investigator that he would submit everything in a week and he didn’t know how long it would take to be cleared. He said it was out of his hands after he submits it, and that it could be in someone’s desk for who knows how long.

Assuming he did submit it, its in the adjudication queue. Given the timelines just for the last part of the clearance process (Adjudication), it could be a little longer.

They have a time goal of 30 days or so to complete that but as we all know that won’t likely happen.

Welcome to the forum of stress and anxiety :wink:

Once I met with investigator, it took another 20 months before my clearance was granted. The person interviewing you could be done with his portion, but if you have lived different places then those investigations aren’t necessarily done. Hopefully it will be quicker for you but I would prepare for a wait of a couple months at least.

What was weird to me is that my references weren’t even contacted before this interview or after. But My employers were. The investigator did ask me for references during the interview which I had already provided on SF86. No refernces contacted yet, from what I’ve read I guess everybody is different.

Yup my references weren’t contacted either, and was asked for more references at the interview. No big deal.