Are You Experiencing Security Clearance Processing Delays?

Looking to get ahold of an administrator about changing my profile name as it appears in the feed… urgently need assistance.

FYI it takes about a month to receive a copy of the background investigation file via FOIA from the OPM.

So… I filed a Congressional about three weeks ago. Two weeks later an investigator calls me to set up my interview. This took place last tues for my Secret, which took 6 hours. That’s just over one year of having an interim before having an interview. I’m hoping the turn around will happen soon. been waiting for 1 1/2 years now.

FYI after a month they sent me a copy of my eqip, some summary sheets, credit report, employment verification. they requested personal interview papers and notes from some other dept. will probably take another month to get further details.

Contacted Congress rep in my local area and they said they submitted a request to check my status and to expedite my background investigation because I been waiting since August 30, 2016. Opm said they would respond within 30 days. Hopefully it moves their carpet.

Just wondering if anyone would know this; Does a NACI always sedt out Inquiries to your references? I ask this because it’s been 5 months since i submitted my SF85 and none of my references have received the inquiry letters?

Thanks

Is the backlog finally thinning? I have a friend who was fresh out of school and took 14 months to finally get his secret clearance very recently, luckily his interim + extension barely tided him over. I figured to at least expect the same as a new grad myself, with the monkey wrench of having parents from “one of those” countries. Instead this is my timeline, and that of a coworker as well:

Mid-September: Apply and get fingerprinted
Mid-October: Receive Interim
This week (early November): Interview

It seems like I’m moving really fast. Additionally we have another friend who was a co-op, started in July, and just got his Secret Clearance 3.5 months later. Have additional resources been put on the investigations or has this always been typical for new grads?

my employment was electronically verified. inquiry letters went out to my immediate supervisors at work a month after my eqip. however my personal references were never checked-my BI closed w/o my personal references having been checked. they did talk to my colleagues at work a week after my personal interview. this is from 2016

New grad here, and approaching 13 month mark. It is anywhere from 12-18 months usually for our demographic for S/TS.

Hopefully for all our sakes they’re finally speeding things up. I submitted my SF-86 for a Secret in early September 2016 and aside from learning that my employment was confirmed I have heard nothing in 14 months. My sense is that when you are interviewed in the process is highly variable–sometimes it’s the very last thing, other times it comes early in the process. On the plus side you have your interim so you can at least start work and be paid to wait for the final…

Luckily I was able to start even without my interim, I don’t need clearance for much of my work. I think this might have been one of those “early” interviews, because I guess some of my info needed clarification. Hard to say where I stand, but hearing that a friend got his full secret in a couple months gives me hope that something’s changed!

I wonder if they are focusing on the new cases, since they have a chance to get those finished within some reasonable amount of time. Someone who has already been waiting nine months or more is never going to be cleared “quickly” but somebody submitting their paperwork today just might make it in 3-6 months.

If this is the case, it would suck, but it is one way of trying to play the numbers game.

My fingers are crossed for you, but be prepared for a considerable wait. From my understanding a few people do get through the system quickly, and they tend to be young, fresh-out-of-school folks without a lot of background stuff to verify or corroborate. That may well include you, but don’t be surprised if something (such as foreign contacts) slows things down…

Finally cleared:
Timeline:
eQuip and finger prints: Feb 6th 2017
Subject Interview: June 8th 2017
Reference Contact: Sep 2017
Clearance granted: Nov 2 2017

I don’t Get it. But My file was switched to 2 different investigators due to my move to another city and a new job. I hope they didn’t misplace my file. I interviewed in July, and I have a few things on my background but pretty straight forward. I explained everything in detail to the investigator. They have not investigated my current job. Similiar timeline to yours though.

Not the fastest we’ve seen of late, but well under a year. Congrats on making it past this mess.

It seems like there are a fair number of people here who got offers around August/September of last year who are still waiting, which at least implies that that they’re being uniformly slow for us, rather than having lost our files. Or at least that’s what I’m telling myself… I am now also over the timeframe that I was given my Senator’s office to get back to me, which on the one hand seems totally appropriate, but on the other doesn’t make me worry less about my file vanishing…

Also really hoping sbusquirrel isn’t right about them ignoring us to concentrate on newer people… I now find myself making cranky old man noises when I see articles about some young whipersnapper getting cleared in “only” nine months. (Congrats kritu and anyone else who has gotten cleared recently… may they have worked things out by the time you need to be re-cleared.)

What level is your clearance?

My Timeline for a T-5. When I applied I was govt employee with an active S and previously cleared TS/SCI but the last SSBI was out of scope. Had continuously held a S or TS for the last 29 years. Clean SF-86 with no LE/credit/travel/etc. issues. Although I could have gotten an interim TS, it would not have granted access to what I needed for my work.

Submitted: June 2015
Opened at OPM: June 2015
Inv Completed: September 2017
Adjudicated: November 2017
Total time in investigation: 816 days or 26 months and 24 days
Total time in adjudication: 46 days
Time from opened to cleared: 862 days or 28 months and 9 days

I think the take aways from this is that current Govt employees do not enjoy any head of line privileges over contractors or others. The timeline is still pretty long but they are working through the backlog and it will probably be a long time before the backlog is cleared. What appears to be an easy case may not be finished any more quickly than a more complex case. If you already have a clearance at a lower level and can work, processing one for a higher level is probably a lower priority than getting an interim done for someone that can’t work without it.

Finally, I appreciate the wisdom and advice of the community. Thanks to all and I hope everyone’s clearances come through soon.

1 Like

I firmly believe this to be true. Overall, “simple” cases may take, on average, less time, but there’s no guarantee that any particular investigation/adjudication taking a long time has any relation to the complexity of the case.