Are You Experiencing Security Clearance Processing Delays?

It is secret clearance.

Is it normal for investigations to be closed without any of your employers/references being contacted?

Maybe not normal, but not unheard of. You may not hear from the people they contacted, or they may have developed their own sources and spoken to other folks.

Thank you so much for that insight. I guess now all I can do is wait for the adjudication process to play out. I haven’t seen a lot of post about this part of the process so if you have any insight there that would help as well

your employment history has been checked via the credit companies and via paper forms to the employers HR dept. companies usually outsource employment to “the work number” service, that has probably been checked.

Best wishes, and I sincerely hope you never have to go through anything like that again. Also as a direct government hire who has waited 14 months for a secret, I’d concur that direct hires don’t seem to be getting any special treatment in the process.

I am meeting with an investigator in regards to a friend who placed me as a reference. I am still waiting on my own personal interview for my TS clearance. Does anyone know if it is worth asking if that investigator can also conduct my interview in the same meeting? Thanks.

Equip submitted March 2015
Interim secret granted July 2015
Personal interview August 2015
Second personal interview October 2015
Investigation closed October 2015
Received independent evaluation interrogatory Nov 2017

Investigations will be carried out as assigned by some central office. The person you speak to could very well end up being the person who eventually interviews you, but they’d have no way of knowing that now, and certainly would not be prepared to conduct an interview.

One investigation at a time!

I would suggest that you inquire about your case status when you meet with the investigator. They may be able to view your case and its status and history.
Unless your case has also been assigned to this investigator I doubt if the investigator can take any action(eg interview).
My FBI investigator was helpful, she asked me to call her if I wanted to check on the status of my case.

Can I ask if your clearance was for Secret or Top secret? Also, which department of government?

Hello all,

Good news for me! I was granted my clearance this week! Here is my timeline:

March 9th, 2017: Submitted SF86 for TS
Early April: Polygraph
Mid September: Subject Interview, I know other contacts and previous employers were interviewed as well over the next few weeks.
Early October: I ask my congressman to inquire on my behalf.
October 16: His office actually reaches out to OPM
November 1: My clearance was “favorably-adjucated” according to the letter my congressman sent to me
November 6: My company actually calls me to let me know this.
Total time: seven months and three weeks from SF86 submittal

There’s no way to tell for sure if my congressman’s inquiry actually helped anything along, but I’m going to think it did! This is for my first job out of college, so my background probably isn’t as complicated as some others. I do have one foreign contact though, but that didn’t seem to slow anything down. Good luck to everyone else!

Secret Time Line
Equip submitted: December 10 2016
Interim secret granted: May 2017
Representative contacted: October 29 2017
Investigator calls thinks I’m in the wrong state: November 8 2017

I’m assuming my investigation hasn’t even started if they don’t know what state I live in.
All my peers from the same school and same job have been cleared sense July 2017

The same thing happeed during my investigation last year. My prospective employer is in Maryland so the file was sent to an investigator there. When it got to the top of the her pile (the first that she opened it) she realized that I live in NJ and my work location was going to be in NJ. She called me to verify and sent it an investigator in NJ.

SF86 on July 1, 2016. First investigator contacts me at the end of December 2016. The new investigator contacts me in February 2016. So, the delay was at least two to three months.

What branch of government was your clearance for?

Well, as an update to my clearance process:

Late Jul 2017 - Submitted SF86
Mid Aug 2017 - Subject Interview
Mid Aug 2017 - References/employers ect interviewed
Late Aug 2017 - First Poly, inconclusive results
Mid Oct 2017 - Second Poly, successful
Nov 8 2017 - Notified that I got my clearance.

This is for a TS/SCI

1 Like

4 months that’s awesome! Congrats!

I work for a DOD contractor.

That’s incredibly fast… Do you mind sharing which agency?

Alright thanks for that information.