Are You Experiencing Security Clearance Processing Delays?

There will not be any updates in JPAS . . . Until you are cleared . . .

Well that kind of rains on my parade. Well at least I will be able to see the transition from “eligibility pending” to adjudication.

Can anyone walk me through what happens after your case has been adjudicated and your clearance is approved? I am mainly looking for general time frame or just a list of things that I still have to do.

What? You may want to edit your post so it makes more sense.

I fixed it. I am asking about the next steps in the on boarding process after you have been cleared.

So you were told that you were granted a security clearance? The onboarding process from here will be dependent on who you are being hired by. What company and/or agency will you be working for? The company FSO or recruiter should be able to fill you in on the next steps in your hiring process. If you want to know specific information about the hiring process for your company, you will have to find someone on here that is being hired by that same company. Every government agency and company is different with their onboarding process.

If you still have an offer from the sponsoring company they should be reaching out to you regarding onboarding.

Once you have clearance approval the sponsoring company should let you know that your clearance has been granted.

I believe the clearance belongs to you. If you no longer have an offer from the sponsoring company but have an alternate offer-that employer can do your job onboarding as well as relevant paperwork regarding the clearance. you will need to reach out to this employer.

Anyone have any insight on how long it takes for clearance for military personnel?

I guess technically a secret clearance isn’t a requirement for all billets as a Navy officer-however, all Navy officers have to be eligible for a secret clearance. In any case, they made me fill out an SF-86 before my program accepted me.

I’m currently in school but getting paid by the Navy until I finish my degree. Once I graduate I will transition into active duty.

I submitted by SF-86 clear back on August 2016. Didn’t actually formally enlist with the Navy until my acceptance into my officer program in January of 2017. In June 2017 I was contacted about a personal interview with a background investigation because my SF-86 was “flagged.” Essentially, I put I was not terminated from a job-when in fact I was terminated from a job it just was not to my knowledge. I never received a termination letter or a notice-I was PRN, called in sick, and never covered any shifts after that and they classified it that I had broken a sick day policy within the first 90 days. It was my junior year of college, I had a lot going on, and really wasn’t the worried about working so I never really looked in to or asked why I wasn’t asked to cover shifts anymore. I just stopped being scheduled, and I stopped asking to be scheduled. I had no knowledge of this or even really recalled my reasons for leaving the job until it all came up in the background investigation-I explained this during my interview. After the interview I even tried to contact this place of employment to ask about it and when they gave me my employee file it had one slip of paper in it that didn’t say anything other then how long I had worked for said company.

Anyway-somewhere between submitting my SF-86 and the investigation I was given an interim clearance-I was never notified of this. I wasn’t told until I asked about the status of my investigation with my SFO after meeting with the investigator.

So I guess my questions are: Will this “flag” seriously decrease my chances of getting a final clearance? I tried to be very detailed and honest during my personal interview. I was not intentionally trying to hide that I was terminated-I was terminated for breaking a 90 day policy, not for violence, theft, or anything like that.

Is it normal for military personnel to have wait this long for a clearance? From what I’ve heard, military people are typically pushed through rather quickly. I have my interim but no word on my Final and it’s been over a year.

Any input is appreciated. Sorry for the lengthy post!!

FWIW I submitted my SF-86 for a Secret in early September last year and I finally had my interview two weeks ago, after something like 400 days of not hearing anything. (And for the record I am not in the military. I’m a DoD hire (though not a serviceman or a veteran) and my sense as always is that absurd waits are just normal.

1 Like

Just got my Secret DoD contractor clearance,

Timeline
8/30 / 2016 opened investigation
10/4/ 2016 interim denied
July/2017 investigator interview
10/5/2017 contacted my local rep. No response yet.
10/2017 employers contacted
10/31 closed
11/28 clearance granted

Not a super clean background had 2 misdemeanors 2013, no drugs or dui. Foreign contacts. I can say that my incidents were mitigated and well explained at the interview. Nothing hidden.

About 15 months? Not the fastest but not the worst. Congrats on getting past this annoying hurdle!

Does anyone have insight into how long the actual investigation takes after it begins? My personal contacts have started doing their in-person interviews with the background investigator last week. Does the process timeline become more predictable once I know that the investigation has started? Submitted my SF86 15-16 months ago. (This is for a TS/SCI, NSA)

My TS/SCI took nine months to complete. The kicker is that the NSA still has to clear you for the SCI Portion. It has been 4 months since I submitted the SCI paperwork to the NSA security office…I’m still waiting! This whole processes is getting ridiculous.

When you say “TS/SCI took nine months to complete”, is that timeline from when your background investigation officially started, or from the time that you submitted your SF86? Is the SCI paperwork separate from SF86, and if so does that process only begin once your SF86 background investigation is complete?

The timeline was from the moment I submitted my SF86 to OPM. I did have to submit additional paperwork to NSA after I became TS/SCI eligible (when my clearance was adjudicated). I’m not sure what they look at that wasn’t uncovered during the TS investigation.

I should mention my job is for an Air Force civilian position within US CYBER Command, My experiences may be different than potential NSA employees.

I am now entering the 6th month since adjudication has started.
Submitted forms 17 months ago, interviewed 21 months ago.
Keeping in touch with HR, but the only information I get is that I am still in the process.

Probably not a timeline people want to see her
May 2016 submit SF 86
March 2017 interview
October 2017 case closed
November 27 2017 clearance granted

18 months and 4 days …
DOE L cleanane
Foreign born but married US born , sparkle clean record, not even a traffic ticket and credit are over 800.

Can I ask, was there anything in the interview that came up that you didn’t disclose in the SF86? Do you have debt or past drug use you had to explain during the interview?

I’ve been in adjudication for 16 months now.
Submitted forms 24 months ago when I got my conditional offer.
I’m getting anxious as well. My point of contact can only tell me “I’m still processing”