Are You Experiencing Security Clearance Processing Delays?

Wait really? I don’t remember putting my high school and my BI didn’t ask about it either. Maybe it’s cause I graduated high school before I was 18? Man this is confusing.

This is why you have the Subject interview.

I have “caught” recruiters and security managers giving bad “advice” and I correct/explain to them privately how they create problems… The security clearance form (SF86) is very complex and can’t be oversimplified. The best I can do is tell folks to read every sentence of every question, carefully, and be literal in your responses.

BTW, the ding on high school is that the questions currently tells you to list all degrees and diplomas (i.e. high school diplomas).

If 5-10% of the population can’t fill out the form, well, maybe 5-10% of the population has a problem.

But if it really is the case that 40-50% of the population can’t fill out the form… well, you get the idea.

Here’s one small example: I was in the reserves and deployed a fair amount. Used to be, I could list my home address which hasnt changed in years, and then make a note that from Jun to Sep or whatever I was deployed to Camp Swampy in Moronica. That was fine.

Then they decided, no, each deployment over 30 days (or 90 or whatever) had to be listed separately. This greatly increased the number of entries in the eQIP. Which in turn greatly increased the opportunities to screw it up. But was any additional information actually obtained? I don’t think so.

I’ve had a TS/SBI for almost 4 decades… I’ve always had to be precise where I was stationed and TDY when I was in the active military whenever I submitted my form.

I remember when we used the EQIP forerunner - where you completed the form on a large floppy disk then sent the disk to the security manager. .

The big change was with secret clearances - before we rarely reviewed the EQIP information - we just discussed the discovered issue with the Subject and left - then about 10 years ago - it was discovered that NACLC/ANACI submissions were incomplete and missing reportable coverage areas… now we have to review the whole EQIP information for a secret (T3) just like we do for everyone else.

I am on the inside of the process and see the value of properly reporting locations and activities - and I see the issues discovered when the additional activities are investigated. I imagine it is hard to see the value when you only see your case and those around you - but please know fthere are serious issues discovered at times - even at my humble level.

What’re the chances that when I sent information back to adjudication they just sent it back out for re-investigation?

Cause I don’t understand why it’s languished for so long without any update at all after entering adjudication.

If the adjudicator has any questions you will be contacted, most likely by an investigator.

Adjudication is the phase where you don’t get any updates at all. But if you do get a question, take it as a good sign, because that means it has reached somebody’s desk and they are working it.

I mean, I was explicitly told that it was in adjudication last May and returned questions as needed. And haven’t heard anything at all since then. Like, almost 9 months ago now.

OK I see that I misread your original post. You were already contacted by the adjudicator who asked for more info, which you provided? And its been nine months since then?

Can’t really tell you anything except this blows my theory that when you are contacted like that it means you’re almost at the end of the process. To answer your original question, yes, I suppose it is possible they sent it out for investigation again.

I was just told I was granted my security clearance. However, because of the agency that sponsored it, I do not have a set EOD yet. They might take a while before i actually get to start.

Does this mean I have an active or current security clearance? (I’m entirely new to this process and do not know the difference) Am I able to use this and work with a contractor or other agency while I wait out the start date?

Any help is appreciated

Exactly. I figure it got sent back out to investigations, and cause of the backlog I get to wait even more.

Hilariously (not hilariously) I signed waivers saying that they can get whatever medical records they want (it’s a mental health disorder I have that isn’t actually impactful at all) but are only good for a year from signing. So they got…4 more months or so before they’ll have to literally come back to me and request a new signature on that.

Good Morning All,

I figured I would jump in and see if someone may be able to shed some light on my situation. I already hold a TS/SCI from 4/2012, and was in the middle of a T5PR opened in Jan. of 2017. My position ended in August of 2017, and I was thrown into a Loss of Jurisdiction status. No incident reports or red flags in JPAS, simply no sponsor. It has been tricky finding companies that are willing to pick me up and get my PR started again (due to either misinformed FSOs or contract constraints), however I have finally got a company/contract who is helping me get my eligibility back. My Eqip was transmitted to OPM on 1/18.

I have a few questions in all. First, I know that the FSO needs to submit an RRU (Upgrade) to have my eligibility reinstated, however they have said the investigation needs to be officially “open” before they will change the JPAS status back to eligibility (and it sounds as if they have NOT filed an RRU). If an RRU has not been filed…once the investigation officially opens, will my JPAS status be changed to reflect current eligibility (and pending investigation), or is the RRU absolutely required for that? Additionally, should she have submitted the RRU in addition to requesting the investigation?

Lastly, it is my understanding (through conversations with former FSOs) that as soon as the PR is open, I can get my status back and companies will have no issue picking me up for contracts as if I never lost eligibility. Does this sound relatively accurate? Needless to say this entire situation is beyond frustrating, and the crazy backlog is making quick processes (such as an RRU) be not so quick. Thanks for any help!

You now have an active clearance that you can take anywhere. As long as you didn’t sign anything with the current company stating that you are obligated to a contract, you could technically take that clearance somewhere else. This situation kind of happened to me, I got a clearance but the position (contract) was no longer available. The FSO said I could apply to other positions within the company or apply to other companies if I would like. My advice though, if you are happy with your original offer and title, be patient and wait for a start date.

I could tell you about a reinvestigation case that has dragged on for three years. The applicant had a hearing last June and still hasn’t received an up or down from the ALJ.

I could . . . but, I won’t . . .

Don’t feel bad - I’m still waiting and my timeline started about a month ahead of yours! I’m Day 516 if you go back to job offer date; otherwise Day 455 from date accepted into E-quip. I contacted my Senator in Nov. and other than signing a waiver for them to look into this, haven’t heard a peep from them either. Also, the job that was offered has been cancelled because they got tired of waiting for the investigation to finish so really doesn’t matter at this point I think.

Just got word from a friend he was asked to set up and interview for my SSBI, agent was for NBIB. thought they took over for adjudication purposes, is this a good sign…or just an ongoing sign.
#498days
*Mailed letter to Congress last week

The NBIB doesn’t do adjudication, just investigation. But at least this shows they’re moving forward and talking to your references.

Just passed 600 days or so here. Hi5.

1 Like

Hey there everyone,

I just got news that my T3 background investigation was favorably adjudicated.

Timeline:
10/06/16 - Offer accepted
10/13/16 - eQuip submitted
10/17/16 - Fingerprints submitted
12/12/16 - Employers contacted
05/17/17 - Contact with first NBIB investigator
10/19/17 - Contact with second NBIB investigator
10/23/17 - Subject interview
11/13/17 - References contacted
01/23/18 - Clearance granted

From the time I accepted my offer letter till my clearance was granted was a total of 474 days. My background was not flawless as I had used marijuana in early college as well as tried LSD once. I was lucky enough to find a contractor that was willing to sponsor and guide me through the process.

To clarify my contact with NBIB: I was first contacted by an investigator that was out of state and they had to transfer my case to another investigator closer to me.

1 Like

Congratulations! I know you waited a long time but I am still jealous. I know I have been only waiting 322 days but I hope to get my clearance!

WOW, that sucks! I feel for you!