Are You Experiencing Security Clearance Processing Delays?

DSS was “holding on” to eQIP submittals and not releasing them to OPM right away in an attempt to throttle the quantity of new investigations. But I don’t know if that worked or not, you still had the same number of cases.

So I turned in a guideline F for financial in December of 2017 (it was an SOR) what are the chances of being adjudicated right now. I haven’t heard anything back

Agencies also hold back cases towards the end of the fiscal year.

August through November are either feast or famine for some areas as Agencies try to spend their BI money or hold on until 1 Oct.

I have seen in the past the occasional case that was held by the Agency for a year.

When you say “agencies hold back cases” are you referring to the agency that requested the investigation? What I heard was that DSS, who runs the eQIP site, was trying to control the release of completed eQIP forms to OPM so that OPM would not be swamped.

Once the eQIP form is opened up and the individual has filled it out, can the requesting agency still slow it down?

Yes - the investigation starts when the eQIP is accepted by OPM and the fee payment submitted to the revolving fund. This might have changed over the last year or so, but we still see a submission rush at the end/beginning of each fiscal year.

e-QIP is managed by OPM btw. .

Please be mindful - this is from personal observation over the last decade and not from any macro data I have seen.

I always thought it was DSS… maybe I was confusing it with JPAS. But I stand corrected.

So an agency could slow things down by withholding payment?

I am sure this is a way to control spending and budgets. OPM/NBIB is paid “up front” but the funds are kept in a “fund” until the case is completed.

Again, I don;t know specific reasons or facts, this is just from my observation. This is evident when I interview a Subject and see their information is from one date (using the date on the signed releases) yet the accepted date is significantly different. Normally there is only a day or two difference between the two.

Depends on if you addressed the concerns fully and mitigated. Did you show payment plans? Did you show you are taking care of those financial concerns? If you did, you could hear something any day. Once I turned in my SOR, a adjudicator contacted me with a few more questions. I received the clearance about 2 weeks later, roughly 30 days after submitting SOR.

1 Like

Hey thanks for getting back to me about this: let’s throw a timeline.

November 2015 submitted an equip

Feb 2016 subject interview

March 2016 - August 2017 adjudication process

October 2017 submitted an SOR for financial considerations with payment plans in place and amounts and such

December 2017 follow up on the original of good faith paying all the creditors off

Current day haven’t heard anything back yet from my FSO since my last communication to DOD CAF.

So I’m wondering where it’s at in the DOD caf.

I have been paying things off will they grant me a clearance or do u think that they want more information

November 2015 is when you started the process?! Almost 3 years to decide if someone is fit for a job - unacceptable in my opinion…

If you are paying off all the concerns, I wouldn’t worry. That’s all they want, is for you to show that you are taking care of your financial responsibilities. I would expect for you to get your clearance and hopefully you get a response soon. When my case was in the SOR phase, I was in communications with DOHA. You can email them and ask for your status. They should be able to tell you something, dohastatus@osdgc.osd.mil.

If I email them what information should I give or should my FSO ask. I appreciate all the information. I just don’t want to jump the chain’.

That is very smart you don’t want to “jump the chain.” In this scenario you are all good, I emailed them multiple times. They would tell you the same information the FSO would get. In fact, I was in communications with them frequently during the “SOR” phase. They told me I was granted my clearance before my FSO knew, I was the one who informed my FSO that I got the clearance, then they looked up the information. Just write an email saying, “Hi, I was told my clearance packet was with your department. Can you please provide me with any kind of status update? My name is Jimmy Neutron, SSN is XXX-XX-XXXX (I would only include the last 4), my address is 1111 North Pole Drive, North Pole 12345. Phone number 121-121-1211. Thanks.”

I appreciate your help thank you!

When did you get an email from them after you sent it? Hours? Days? Thx!

Each time I sent an email I got a response within 24 hours. The usual response was “pending Administrative Determination” which means they are still reviewing. Until I got the response that my clearance would be granted that day.

1 Like

What was the frequency you contacted them? So I don’t overburden them?

That is entirely up to you. I would say once every two weeks. We think a week is a long time but they move much slower than we expect. Let me know if you get a response, i’m curious what your status is.

I sent an email and its approaching the 24 hour mark…I’m thinking something happened or there way too busy. What should I expect?

Just be patient. They will respond. If they don’t have your case, they’ll let you know.