Are You Experiencing Security Clearance Processing Delays?

A meeting with an investigator for a Secret is often the end, or near the end of the investigation (depends on what the meeting was about).

Not exactly. I met with investigator for DOD secret, and I didn’t get final clearance until 18 months later. Now I am waiting on DOS clearance and it has been 4 months since meeting with investigator, no clearance yet.

Hi all - I’m undergoing an SSBI. I had my subject interview about a month ago, and since then, 4 refs were interviewed. My investigator informed me that the fieldwork paperwork has been submitted to the (hiring) agency. According to comments here, it appears that this may be one of the last steps - when it reaches the agency for review. However, I have not been scheduled for a poly yet and waiting to hear on that. Isnt that usually done at the very beginning, before even the subject interview? I’m confused with the general sequence of events. (sigh)

I have been using this forum and it has been helpful. Here is my time line.

Nov 2016 - Job offer
Jan 2017 - e-Qip released to DSS
Apr 2017 - Credit check
Oct 2017 - Contacted Senator
Nov 2017 - NBIB investigator made contact (out of area; case forwarded to investigator in my area)
Dec 2017 - Interview with NBIB investigator
Dec 2017 - References contacted
Jan 2017 - Background investigation closed and transmitted to DoDCAF for adjudication
Jan 2018 - Sent FOIA request to NBIB for copy of BI
Feb 2018 - Received copy of BI; everything looks good
Mar 2018 - Contacted Senator

Application: 74 days
Investigation: 283 days
Adjudication 63 days and counting
Total: 420 days and counting

This is for DoD contractor and secret clearance (T3). I’m near Philly and job is in LA. During this time, I got married and traveled overseas and started new job. I’m also a dual citizen. I had 4 hr interview with investigator to update eQip since submission.

I believe NISPPAC (National Industrial Security Program Policy Advisory Committee) meeting was held on 14th of this month. We should see Q1 performance metrics soon. Here are old numbers.

https://www.archives.gov/isoo/oversight-groups/nisppac/committee.html

1 Like

The poly is usually AFTER the interview. You will probably be contacted soon for the Poly which should be one of the last steps for you. Are you sure you need a poly? Is yours for TopSecret?

I’m not sure why they say adjudication takes less than 20 days on the chart, since people on here are waiting months. Did you ever get an interim?

lmikelowery, thanks for the word. Appreciate the insight re sequence of poly. Yes, I was told that the poly (full-scope life cycle) is required as part of the TS/SCI clearance for this gig.

Ok well I went through the TS process, didn’t pass the poly. The poly was a few months after interview for me.

20 days is the average. The timelines are going to seem skewed on this site because the people that usually speak up about timelines typically are speaking up because their timelines are long.

I heard that the poly is the worst. So what does this mean for you? Will you be taking it again?

My employer told me that I need full clearance to work and interim will not be enough. I’m guessing that they never submitted my paperwork for interim.

I don’t think they are posting average or median no. of days. They are posting 90th percentile numbers which gives us better understanding. I doubt that most of the posters here are in 91-100 percentile.

My guess is that either they count business days or they start counting when they actively start working on a case, or maybe combination of both…

By the way in November 2017 report, they have segregated performance data for DOD, DOE and IC agencies.

Well yes, a lot of people don’t pass poly, but some have no problems. I think i “psyched” myself out and was thinking about things too much. I had nothing to hide but some of the questions are so open-ended its hard to not think about something in my youth that could relate.
I didn’t get the position because I didn’t pass poly. So I applied for other jobs that required only a Secret which I have got offers for and am in that process now (For secret).

All the best! I’m anxious about the poly, maybe a good thing it’s taking its sweet time…

I understand confusion re: timeline for poly, etc. I believe sometimes the poly comes right after the job interview, and other times after BI is submitted to the agency. I don’t know why that is. I too wish that the milestones were outlined somewhere.

FYI - my (2) polys were about a month after the BI paperwork was submitted to agency, and seemed to be scheduled soon after I asked about the next steps in the process. I have found that checking in with my POC about once a month at this point in the process has been helpful. Have you done that? Also, while I was told that adjudication would take 2 weeks - 2 months, it has been longer, about three months post-poly with info. provided to reviewer/adjudicator. I was told to expect 1-2 months more. Hmmm… a bit longer than the 6-12 months I was told. Good news is, it’s getting closer to the end of the process for all of us. Stay positive, you’ve made it this far!

1 Like

Hi Good Day, very sage advice. Yes, I’ve been checking in with my hiring component and my recruiter about once a month, and also with the security office (from whom I never a receive a response). I think at one point, similar to your situation, after I had contacted my hiring manager, my subject interview was scheduled soon after. So it sounds like they need to be nudged from time to time. That’s nice that they at least told you about 1-2 mos from this point on. Did they let you know whether you passed the poly? Why did you take it twice? You are definitely in the home-stretch, which is incredibly encouraging!

had been working for DoD position that required Public Trust past 5 years. I got a new job requiring Secret Clearance. The new company asked for my interim so I can start working. Here is my timeline. I am currently working at the new company under interim secret clearance status.

SF-86 Submitted: 09/12/2017
Interim granted: 10/06/2017
Interview: 12/08/2017

My interview took only an answer since “information was quite straightforward” as said by the investigator. I haven’t seen any inquiry on my credit report monitoring website that says it was done by OPM.
My personal references were contacted in January. One interviewed/met with the investigator and the other one wasn’t able to due to scheduling issues. He is still waiting for a call back since he is in a different city.
Would also like to mention that when I received interim, I was told that by FSO that my “interim has been reinstated”. This left me wondering! Not sure what “reinstated” meant?

I was informed by my hiring manager ahead of time that people are often invited back to poly a second time. I think it is standard procedure. After the first poly, they said I would need to come back. I asked to do it again then and there, but that’s not how it is done. Polys were one week apart. They didn’t tell me that I passed but that results would be reviewed by the supervisor, and would I be willing to come in again if needed for a third round? I can’t imagine the look on my face after that question, but said that yes, I would come back if needed. Again standard as I understand. No news is good news post-poly. Hiring manager suggested not to overthink during poly. Good advice. And prayers the whole time did not hurt either…

Just got cleared! DoD contractor for initial TS/SCI.
Timeline:
06/2016: sf86 and fingerprints submitted
08/2016: investigation opened and credit pulled
10/2017: contact congressman by fax
10/2017: meeting with investigator
Follow up meeting with investigator 2 weeks later for 10 minutes.
01/2018: contacted my investigator to see if he needed anything else
01/2018: met with investigator again for 20 min for additional references
02/2018: met with investigator again for additional references
Late 02/2018: my latest reference contacted
Final clearance granted 03/2018 after 21 months.

2 Likes