Are You Experiencing Security Clearance Processing Delays?

I’m waiting on a DoD Secret as a contractor. Figured I’d add my timeline.

My timeline thus far
October 18, 2017: eQip submitted
November 28, 2017: Interim clearance granted
April 20, 2018: Subject interview

Since then, nothing. I check in periodically with my references and no one has been contacted.

Current DOS employee waiting on Secret Periodic Reinvestigation. Here’s my timeline:

05/03/2018: eQip submitted
05/29/2018: Subject interview
06/15/2018: Follow up interview
07/25/2018: Inquiry to DS/SI/PSS; investigation still open
07/25/2018: Congressional inquiry filed

11/2016 - SF86 Submitted
05/2018 - Met with Background Investigator. Report submitted

Still in PR mode. No adjudication yet

What agency do you work for? I assume PR is a periodic reinvestigation?

You just submitted your Eqip two months ago and you are already filing a congressional inquiry?

I’m filing an inquiry because it is still in investigations but I haven’t had any contact with a BI in almost 6 weeks. A guy at work did his interview around the same time as me and he got his clearance over a month ago. I’ve read in these threads that an inquiry can grease the wheels a little bit.

I agree, two months is WAY too soon to file a congressional inquiry. I’m about to submit one and it’s been nine months.

lmikelowrey, just find your representative and go to their website. There should be instructions on how to submit an inquiry to OPM.

HordesOfKailas - Thank you sir.
ElFume - Best of luck.
How are we sure this doesn’t cause more issues? If my FSO is contating the government agency every month, and they have informed me what phase i’m at, if all of a sudden a congress person is asking for status wouldn’t that just upset them? If they have already told us our status, what is a congress person going to achieve other than a status update?

If I’m being honest, I have no idea if it helps. I’ve heard anecdotes of people sitting in limbo for a year who contacted a rep and suddenly saw movement. Who knows though.

I doubt it hurts. Worst case it doesn’t help. I can’t imagine you’ll be treated prejudicially because you asked a rep for help.

The only thing i’m worried about is this. When I contacted the government agency for an update, I was transferred to a specific divison where my case was being handled. They told me all inquiries should come from my FSO. The next day my FSO said hey I was told you contacted the agency directly, you should be contacting me, all further communication should come through me. So, if I then go to a congress person and that information trickles down to the FSO, I feel like they could be not so eager to hire me seeing as i’m jumping the chain of command. I don’t know, just brainstorming…

I see what you’re saying. My case is a little different. I’m a contractor and I’m currently working with my Interim. I don’t have to worry about pissing my FSO off and getting my offer rescinded.

Prudence might be more warranted in your situation.

Here is my timeline for a T5 (P-RI).

late 12/2017 - Received notification from my employer to submit my PRI documents.
early 02/2018 - Submitted my forms to my employer who submit my forms in EQIP.
late 03/2018 - Notified by my employer that my forms were submitted.
06/2018 - Contract bought out by a new company as directed by the government; Converted to new contract employee (no other option at the time).
07/2018 - Government finally reviewed my submitted documents and said to re-submit my forms due to contract being bought out and have a new employer. WTF !?!?! Still not assigned an investigator.
late 07/2018 - Working with security in resubmitting my updated forms.

What I hope to happen:
Fall 2018 - Assigned an investigator and investigation begins.
Summer 2019 - Investigation is concluded.
Fall 2019 - Adjudicated phase and decision is made.
Christmas 2019 - P-RI concluded and clearance renewal is approved :slight_smile:

Man, I went 10 MONTHS without getting a BI interview. I submitted my EQIP in September of 2017, I have record that they received everything from my future employer 3rd week of September when I filed the first week, and from then it took them until the last week of June 2018 to set up a BI interview for the first week of July.

You have a LONG ways to go. There’s a good chance you’ll get interviewed earlier than me (hell, a good friend who is a reference on my forms who filled out his stuff not 6 months before me) got his completed in ten months.

I was already interviewed, both for the subject interview and a follow up interview where I had to show the investigator my medication. I spoke to several references and almost none of them says that they were contacted. They only person I’m aware of that that they spoke to was my supervisor.

You’ve had more movement post-interview than me. Your inquiry was definitely premature.

6 weeks without anything happening is normal. You’re already moving faster than most people.

I’ve been watching this thread since 7 months prior to submitting my SF-86, so now that I finally am done, I figured I’d share my timeline to help out others. Note, I did have multiple things on my SF-86 that you could consider negatives (expunged arrests, past marijuana usage). So if you have some things you’re putting down that may delay, but probably won’t deny the clearance, mine may be more accurate for you.

Submitted: 6/2017
Interim denied: 11/2017
Contacted senator first time: 2/2018
Interview: 3/2018
Friends interviewed: 3/2018, 4/2018, 5/2018
Investigator followed up with more questions: 5/2018
Went into adjudication: late 6/2018
Granted: late 7/2018

A couple additional notes:

During March and April I called to follow up with the senator’s office about every 3 weeks.

During May, June, and July, I was calling every week to week and a half.

Total days end to end was 414, total days for adjudication was 31

The senators office is very helpful for speeding up opm/nbib and updating you on where you’re at in the process. The only movement I saw was always the Monday following contacting the senator the previous week.

The senators office cannot speed up DoD during adjudication.

The senators office can (and did) find out the clearance is granted faster than your FSO and allow you to push the FSO on it and get it (functionally speaking) faster

Mine was for secret, working in industry

My state is smaller than most, so the senators office may have had more resources to devote per person (having as many resources as every other state, the largest ones included). I contacted both senators and my representative. One senator was more effective than the other but both were effective. My representative was not at all (less resources I assume).

Good luck to those that are waiting! To me, it felt good to know I was having an impact on speeding it up, even if it was slow. Plus, if everyone reading this forum contacts their senators, they’re gonna be getting A LOT of communication that this process is messed up. And hopefully that can do something to improve the process down the road.

Its been nearly 2 years. Not even an interview yet.

I certainly am seeing a similar timeline as you. I submitted 2.5-3 months later than you did, so I guess it’s safe to assume I have at least another month or two to go.

I also did contact my congressman late May/early June, and actually got a letter back saying that he’s pressed all relevant groups to speed up my case. Shortly before the date he says he received it, I was FINALLY contacted by the BI for an interview.

It seems as though he interviewed my references very quickly however. He contacted two of them and interviewed them both within the same week. No idea if he’s gonna contact more.

When he followed up for more questions, what were they pertaining to if you don’t mind me asking? The arrests?

I’m starting to think that i should contact my congressman after seeing all these posts. Sf submitted in March 17, got turned down for my interim in July 17. Two old employers were sent surveys in Aug and nothing until my interview March 18. I’ve heard nothing since then.