Are You Experiencing Security Clearance Processing Delays?

I have no clue how you’re still sane. I’m losing my mind at around 300 days.

1 Like

The people mine chose to interview were all over the country so they had to send separate investigators for each one.

The follow up questions he had were to clarify things I stated in the interview and on the form, mostly. But there was a line of questioning indirectly related to the arrests. From what I can tell they act like they don’t really care whether you were arrested or not, and whether or not the charge stuck you with a lasting record or whether it was expunged. It’s more about the behavior that caused the arrest and how that affects your ability to hold a clearance. A word of caution that really applies to the whole process, do not lie or even stretch the truth. If they ask you a follow up question, especially. Right after I responded, he asked for multiple references who can attest to my behavior related to those questions. He didn’t actually contact them, but I suspect he would have if he was unsure of my response.

Yeah, that seems to line up with my experience as well. For me, it was occasionally smoking pot in College that the BI was interested in. He did exactly as you described, contacted some references to clarify what I said in terms of my behavior. Those references ended up being 2/3 of the “people who know you very well” listed in my EQIP but I don’t think that’s a problem.

I’m just trying to see how soon I could get pushed into adjudication.

I am at the beginning of this long process for a TS SCI to be a contractor for an IC agency. I have never held a clearance before, I am entry level, and I am in the DMV. Here is my timeline:

3/8/18- Recieved CJO
3/14/18- FSO sent me JPAS login info
3/26/18- Released SF86 to FSO
3/28/18- Re-released SF86 with edits
4/23/18- Gov added me to eCPRL post funding approval delay
7/18/18- Email from Agent to FSO
7/19/18- FSO fwd email to me with questions
7/20/18- I sent answers to Agent

The agent clarified that my investigation has not technically started yet, but he/she was just gathering extra info to supplement my SF86 (mostly about international travel). OPM is not conducting my investigation, but my FSO is able to call the agency directly to get updates about my case, which is good I suppose. Is anyone else in a similar situation to me in the sense that OPM is not doing their investigation? I wonder if this will be quicker or slower.

I am also wondering if anyone has dealt with their current employer finding out about their clearance investigation and then letting them go? I’ve read this entire thread and see some people have lost promotions because of it, but is it legal for a company to let you go? I asked the agent about how they contact employers, and he/she told me they would add a note in my packet to please contact me before contacting my company so I can give specific contacts, but it is at the discretion of the BI. I can’t be the only person who has been in this pickle, why would my company keep me knowing I intend on leaving? What other company would hire me in the mean time? I am not positive how my company would react, but I did not plan on putting my two weeks in until I have a start date once clearance process is over.

I also know two other recent grads in the area who are direct hires for this IC agency. Both are TS SCI, and one of their clearances was completed in 6.5 months flat as of this past week, and the other is moving lightening fast as well. The second accepted his job offer mid June and already has his poly scheduled for next week. Both are completely different positions.

I don’t know how you guys stand it.

TS/SCI direct hire position for an IC agency, 800 days since application, 700~ days since CJO, 450 since two polys, 350 in adjudication. No priors; just experimental drug use with nothing too serious (no coke, heroin, meth, oxys). It sucks to know that there are people out there who lied about drug use and probably got through faster because they’re “squeaky clean.”

The process is utterly demoralizing.

2 Likes

How long ago was your mild drug use?

I’be only been waiting about 5 months… maybe I should stop complaining/worrying.

I submitted my SF-86 almost 2 years ago and my investigation has been open almost 2 years as well.

1 Like

Am I the only one here experiencing security clearance processing delays?

3 Likes

Nope, I am as well. Submitted SF-86 early March, heard from security in reference to missing information… nothing since.

1 Like

How did you find out that your application has entered adjudication?

Uncle Sam, are you waiting to hear whether you are in adjudication? Have you finished all the steps?

6 years ago, 4 from application. You have to at least wait a year, and the longer the better.

Your last sentence summarizes this madness completely.

Unfortunately, you are absolutely correct there!

Has anyone recently requested their investigation results from OPM via the mail in FOIA form?

Wondering what their turnaround time currently is.

Thanks,

Investigation request received by OPM/NBIB on 6/21/18
Investigation received via secure email 8/2/18

I sent a FOIA request to OPM on Jul 6, 2018. They responded on July 12.

Looks oddly familiar to another timeline I happen to know about. :unamused: fun isn’t it

I got back my electronic request to NBIB within 25 days. It was literally one page and the only thing it said was “OPM Assessment: F - No Issues - Level 1 review.”

Can anyone tell me what that means? Hoping it might shed a little light on my current adjudication process.