As a Background Investigator, how much have you been able to work from home?

Wondering about how much time you could expect to work from home.

I guess it depends on how many points (I think they call them that) and maybe how many face-to-face interviews you have to complete.

I am also wondering if a typical requirement is four face-to-face interviews in a week and if you could feasibly accomplish those over 2-2.5 days while working remotely the other 2.5 days.

Just trying to get a feel for their kind of schedule to find out if it’s a field I would definitely want to go in to.

Completely dependent on many variables including workload, geographic location, Subject availability, types of cases, and your personal preference. I generally spend 3-4 mornings in the field and spend my afternoons at home typing and making calls.

1 Like

Id say maybe think about another career.

2 Likes

This is not a field you want to go into

1 Like

Definitely too many variables to answer with any sort of certainty. Personally I make sure that I have 1-2 days at home each week to type, return phone calls, print, brief, etc. etc. It’s hard to focus and work with accuracy if you are running around chasing people all day long.

1 Like

I spend about 30 hours a week in the car or interviews. I spend about 10 hours a week at home.

But I will agree with everyone… it really depends. But if you are asking because you think that this is the perfect job to drop the kids off, pick the kids up, watch a baseball game weekly.,… that may not happen on a regular basis. This is a fast paced job that has some work from home benefits. It is not as flexible as you would think. You still have deadlines and to work around multiple schedules of subjects and sources.

Most investigators are working off the clock to meet stats who work the DCSA contract.

So I assume your hours would be more closely aligned with 20 hours from home and 30 hours in the field each week.

Most investigators don’t commit time fraud, so don’t speak for everyone.

5 Likes

Several decades at this job and I think most probably do. Unfortunately, most probably don’t understand what it is and that that they are doing it. If they did understand there wouldn’t be so many investigator’s fired for admitting it in an effort to show their hard work and allegiance toward the company. It’s a hard concept to understand in a “salaried” job.

1 Like

It’s so funny that I always see people here saying they are working off the clock, I do not spend one minute over my 40 hours per week of required work.

4 Likes

Nope. Neither do any of my coworkers. I don’t give free labor.

3 Likes

I don’t work the DCSA contract and never worked off the clock but based upon some of these Investigators metrics they have attested to, there’s no doubt they are working off of the clock.

I do not work off the clock, I do
not even check email off the clock, I log my minutes I spend returning a phone call if I return it after hours. I don’t give any company or the federal government free time. I would hope that everybody else is the same. I think this topic has been covered by many threads.

If you are in an area that has a military base, a large DOE facility, or other work, that would be considered “shooting fish in a barrel”. (some that come to mind is Sandia labs New Mexico…Lancaster, California, which has Boeing, Northrop Grumman, a few other aerospace industries, I would think Omaha ne with the amount of Sac com work, Leavenworth, Kansas, Columbus, Georgia, Warner Robins, Georgia, Fort Knox, Kentucky, Colorado Springs Colorado,… The list goes on.) Then you could make production numbers at a mid range, investigator level by being focused, zoning your work, and making sure to schedule enough interviews in any given day. For example, it is not uncommon for an investigator/special agent in Columbus Georgia to pick up 5 to 7 interviews in one unit in a day. (Basic training base army). To me, this is a miserable day, you do not move from your seat, you may, or may not lose your voice, and you are going to be tired after doing that many interviews.

If you are in a major metropolitan area, like Houston, Atlanta, Miami, ( those are just some examples) then you are going to do a lot more driving for your interviews, and therefore struggle to meet production.

3 Likes