ATF Drug Policy

The ATFs application drug history policy is pretty open ended, does anyone have any experience or knowledge of what their guidelines for minimal/experimental steroid usage? 8+ years ago.

The SF86 drug questions ask you about your history for the past 7 years. The exceptions to the 7-year rule are the following questions:

Have you EVER illegally used or otherwise been illegally involved with a drug or controlled substance while possessing a security clearance other than previously listed?

Have you EVER illegally used or otherwise been involved with a drug or controlled substance while employed as a law enforcement officer, prosecutor, or courtroom official; or while in a position directly and immediately affecting the public safety other than previously listed?

Have you EVER voluntarily or been ordered, advised, or asked to seek counseling or treatment as a result of your illegal use of drugs or controlled substances?

Otherwise, the adjudicative guidelines are the same. You can check out them here:

I understand the SF86 questions, but a lot of federal LE agencies have their specific rules posted whereas the ATF is open ended.

In my experience, vague and open-ended policies allow for case-by-case decisions to be made. The ATF will use the adjudicative guidelines in their consideration. I have seen people with the same issue, working at the same agency, but with different positions have different adjudicative decisions be made. The fact that the ATF is vague and not specific sort of answers the question.

Thank you for your input.