CBP background investigation and past marriages

I hate to disclose this on a public forum but here goes. I’ve applied for a CBPO position and am undergoing a Top Secret security clearance. Having passed the polygraph I am currently going through the background investigation. I’ve been married 5 times and divorced four. My choices in spouses was horrible. My last divorce was in 2007. Most of the marriages lasted only 4 to 5 years. Most of these marriages ended because my spouse cheated and they did not end nicely. A Lot of bad blood continues to this day. I am currently in a happy marriage and stable for 7 years. I keep hearing that the investigators only go back 10 years when interviewing ex-spouses. I have 2 questions. 1.) Will or can they go back further than 10 years? 2.) Will being divorced this many times hurt my chances for a positive outcome?

You will be asked the reason for divorce and if you are complying with any resulting obligations you have from them (alimony, child support, etc). If your answers have no issues, you should be fine.

1 Like

List them all and your marriages/divorces. Don’t worry about it.

1 Like

I did list every one of them. My question is does the investigator stay within the scope of the investigation (10 years) or do they have the ability to go past the 10 year mark if they so choose too.

1 Like

The answer is - no or minor issues - normally no.

Thank you for your response. I appreciate everyone’s input.

I’ve processed a lady with 4 previous marriages. She was not happy revealing that info to me but she did clear. s

Question. My boyfriend is a BP agent. He said i am not allowed at his house unless ive been through an official background check. Is this true? He seems to be dragging his feet on doing it even though i offered my info without hesitation. We have been together 5 months. He has talked about marriage etc so I am a bit perplexed.

Definitely not true.

1 Like

Even if he has a high level Sec Clearance? Sensitive info kept at his home for the cases he works? That was the ‘reason’ I got anyway.

And may i ask your position on how you know? Ill need this when i call this out. He didnt know I had some FBI in me lol!