Changing jobs during clearance process (neither job is clearance)

If I change employers while waiting for my clearance (neither job (leaving or entering) is the clearance job), will they call my new employer, and will this cause it to go back to investigation, or will it be so new it wont matter? It has been a while since I talked to the investigator so I am assuming I’m passed that stage.

like most events in the security clearance process… it depends.

If this is a Tier 5 and the ESI has not been completed - dependent on the date the ESI is completed, the new employer may or may not be contacted.

By ESI, do you mean the meeting with the investigator?

Yes - a Subject Interview.

I had that months ago, and due to silence from anyone I’ve listed and some I’ve not, it appears that phase is done.

Question, is it absolutely necessary to let my CI agency recruiter know during the BI process that I’m changing jobs? Same as above, neither job (leaving and entering requires clearance). I just don’t want the BI to be extended even more. Plus, as you know, it’s not ideal to let your new company know that you are going through an investigation which will most likely result in you leaving that company. It’s been a year since my SF86 was sent. I’m just not sure how important this job change is for investigators. Anybody?

I didn’t tell them i changed jobs and then i informed them 6 months later when they called me asking for new references. My BI did not seem to care. However, I never changed addresses.

1 Like

You are not required to report your job changes after your Subject interview.

Thank you. By Subject interview, do you mean a PSI?

Yes, though “PSI” and “PRSI” are old terms.

Hello. First time ever applicant for Secret.

I am currently in a non-gov job. Submitted my sf-86 last week. Fingerprints are due soon. However, I received a “hard=-to-refuse” offer from another non-gov job that I need to respond to in 36 hours.

Now, how to figure out the timeline between when fingerprints gets processed vs when the final clearance comes through? I cannot afford to join the gov job on an interim clearance when it is a 2 year probationary period and who knows what they won’t like about my life (no drugs, no financial issues, and no arrests, but I was born in a non-hostile country and became a naturalized citizen).

1. Is it okay to call/email SO and ask how long will it be between interim and final clearance?
  2. How bad it will look for me if I accept the new non-gov job, give my two weeks notice at current job, and then start the new job by Aug 1st, only to find out that final clearance came all good and now I have a firm offer on the table from gov job?

Help, advise, anything? I have to accept or decline the other non-gov job in 36 hours.

Thanks.

You are an optimist if you think you will get your clearance by August 1st. I would take the non-gov job, go through the clearance and when granted - decide what to do next.

2 Likes